dead battery on new XC70

I recently experienced a dead battery on my 2004 XC70. This happened first thing in the morning after being parked in my driveway overnight. Battery seemed to be completely dead - no dome lights, no power seat adjustment, no click when attempting to start the vehicle. The only difference on this night from the other 30 or so days that I have owned the car is that the key was inadvertently left in the ignition over night. Ignition was in the OFF position and no doors were left open. I was able to start the car after charging the battery for approx one hour and everything seems normal since then. Any ideas what caused this?

Reply to
Mike

When you put the key into the ignition, it turns on the interior lights until you turn the key to start the car. The interior lights run the battery down.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Give the guy a break.

He did not mention that the lights were on or left on.

Leaving the key in the ign after getting out will not turn the dome light on.

Putting the key in the ign, the dome lights will go out after about 30 seconds

if the car is not started.

Besides the queation was not, Will my car be stolen if I leave the key in the ignition.

BD

Big Dick

The dome lights were not on, and I do not buy the argument that they will stay on if the key is left in the ignition.

Besides, even if they WERE on, we're talking about a one amp load for approximately 12 hours against a battery that should have a capacity of 60-70 amp-hours. Something abnormal happened and I am trying to find out what it was.

Reply to
Mike

FWIW, our relatively new 2002 V70 T5 also suffered a dead battery. Initially, I thought I did not close the tail gate completely when I visited the car the evening before. In the AM, it was dead. Got a jump start and went about my business only to have it go dead again after sitting over night. Turns out that the battery had two dead cells. Luckily it was replaced under warranty.

Reply to
Njord