Dexron ATF

Is there a difference between Dexron ATF, Dexron II ATF and Lastly Dexron II D ATF

The mauuel for our 1990 740 B200E with AW71 auto box stipulates Dexron II D but can not find this anywhere. Not even the local Volvo Agent.

The ex Volvo guy who has looked after the car for the last years says there is no difference between Dexron II and Dexron II D so use either but keep away from Dexron a different temperature rating or something.

Mr Chumlie Walker-Smythe in the local motor factors says thouht they were all absolutely interchangeable 'as long as they are a crimson red colour'.

There was a thread on this for an AW70 from an 85 240 box but that only refers to Dexron as if the choice was dexron or er Dexron or Mobil etc i.e. no different quality types mentioned.

Car has done 124000 miles in 16 years. What oil would you put in the engine now 20w-50 dino or a thichish (if you can find any) semi synth. Have always keptoff Full synth because of noted detergent issues oin older cars.

A while ago I asked a question and was rewarded by some good suggestions st to why our 740 B200E might had lost its accelleration. I Can not find the post so if it is around and anybody can reost it I will geve everybody what we believe the answer to be.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

As for oil, use the cheapest "decent" brand of non-synth available, and change it and the filter whenever it gets black.

Reply to
zencraps

To the best of my understanding, there are two families of ATF... the Dexron and the Type F.... Most recent cars seem to use the Dexron type, although my old '79 Toyota wanted the Type F, which I was told was "stickier" than the Dexron. Both were red, so you can't go by that, just trust the label on the bottle.

As for oil, for the last couple decades, I've been putting in one quart of synthetic, and the other 3 of regular 10w30. My current '89 240 has 220,000 miles on it, and no problems, even though I got it with 168,000 miles. I change oil and filter about every 4,000 miles, give or take a few....

Reply to
Perry Noid

The specs just keep getting larger numbers and letters.

Just use Dexron III.

Reply to
athol

Dexron III is the most readily available version of Dexron type fluids. It is the new and improved version which replaces the prior Dexron II/IID versions. The most current stock should also indicate that it is "Specification H" approved.

For example, here is Mobil's information page for their current Dexron product:

John Horner

Type F is for Ford transmissions. The "stickeir" that you refer to is a friction enhancer that provides for more positive band and clutch engagement. I even used it in my Corvette for over twenty years without a problem. The first time that I used it (by mistake) I could definitely feel a more positive shift. 120,000 miles later, everything was still fine.