Diffcult to clean a throttle body (87 740 Turbo)?

For most intents I'm a newbie mechanic. I can do the basics (changing a tyre :P), oil, air filter, etc.

I'm trying to improve the shape of this 87 740 Turbo I purchased a few weeks ago. It stalls when idling after a cold start if it's really cold. It it's just a little cold, it'll splutter and then the engine revs up to avoid the stall. If it's cold and put into gear, it will almost always stall unless my foot it touching the gas. And even then it's 50/50.

Someone recommended I clean the throttle body, as this helps a great number of problems. As I've never done this before, I'm a little nervous :) I also read that the "idle valve" should be checked and cleaned.

What I need to know, is where IS the throttle body on my 740 Turbo? :P I've found the throttle cable, and where it connects etc. Is the part where it goes into the engine called the "throttle body" ? The Haynes book (surprisingly) doesn't mention it.

Also, I've seen people on this board recommend carb cleaner, but the FAQ on brickboard recommends Fuel Injector cleaner and explicitly says "NOT carb cleaner". Which should I use?

Reply to
Mang0

The throttle body is the metal butterfly valve bolted to the intake manifold, the air pipe from the intercooler connects directly to it through a formed rubber elbow, take that off and the throttle butterfly (rotated by the throttle cable) will be visible. It's much easier to clean if you remove the whole assembly, it's 3 bolts to the intake manifold, you do have to remove the throttle position sensor to get all the bolts out though and then you have to realign it so it clicks just as the throttle starts to open without it holding the throttle open, it's easier to do than it is to describe.

Reply to
James Sweet

This should help:

IPD USA specializes in Volvo parts. The link above is for a throttle body cleaning kit they sell and also at that link is a 3 page pdf file that you should be able view that describes the process of removing the throttle body, cleaning it and then reinstalling the throttle body. That piece of paper came in handy when I recently cleaned mine. I just noticed that you are outside the US so I can't say how much it would cost to get the kit shipped to you, but it would probably be cheaper for you to cobble up the kit locally anyway.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Da Camera Man

Don't let me email address fool you :-)

Wow, only USD18, I was expecting at least 3 times that. I'm starting to like ipdusa quite a lot. The next thing from them will be the headliner kit.

Reply to
Mang0

> IPD USA specializes in Volvo parts. The link above is for a throttle> > body cleaning kit they sell and also at that link is a 3 page pdf file> > that you should be able view that describes the process of removing> > the throttle body, cleaning it and then reinstalling the throttle> > body. That piece of paper came in handy when I recently cleaned mine.> > I just noticed that you are outside the US so I can't say how much it> > would cost to get the kit shipped to you, but it would probably be> > cheaper for you to cobble up the kit locally anyway.>

IPD is great for a lot of stuff, you can get the headliner kit for much less elsewhere though and you can get it in colors other than white. I paid about $50 for the cloth and adhesive to do mine.

Reply to
James Sweet

I am just about to undertake this job myself and am curious about one thing. The IPD Site states:

"Our latest kit outlines the step by step procedure on removal, cleaning and resetting of the throttle body on 1982 and newer LH jetronic cars."

Although mine is a 1983 240 Turbo it uses K-Jetronic instead of LH-Jetronic injection. Is anything majorly different? Looking at their diagrams I see right away that I don't have the same Throttle Switch setup. What about the gasket? I called the dealer and their parts guy had no idea if it would be the same gasket for my car.

thanks blurp

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 04:19:50 GMT, the illustrious "James Sweet" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

The throttle body is fairly common to all Volvos and just needs a thorough clean. You can use about half a can of carb cleaner to get it spotless. In the VOC we recommend that it be done every two years for maximum usefulness.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Nothing is particularly different, the K-Jet turbos are actually easier when it comes to the throttle body. The non-turbo K-Jet is another story all together though.

Reply to
James Sweet