Differences between sc-815 and 816

Hi All,

Just picked up a 95 850 and want to exchange the radio/cassette for either sc-815 or sc-816 w/indash CD, but I do ot know the difference between the two models. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

I have a 96 965 and have scoured Ebay for several weeks now looking at the

815s. I believe that the only difference is the color. From what I've seen, both have CD controllers, integrated single CD players, 12 FM presets, 6 AM presets and are 4X25Watts. The 816s have a gray face and may not have the "Premium Sound" lable at the top. The 815s have a black face.

I wanted an 815 for the CD player (I have an 811) but decided to use a portable minidisc player instead. I purchased it on Ebay for 95 bucks (retails for 150+ in stores), holds 1GB of music, is simple to use (play thru the radia via a cassette adapter or FM modulator) and fits in the small "cubby" beside the cigarette lighter. I am pleased. Sound is same as I get when I play audio cassettes in the car. If you are really interested in better sound quality with Volvo appearance I believe there is an SC-900. It was on the late 90s V70s. It has an integrated 3 disc CD player as well as the controller, fits in your dash BUT requires a separate amp.

Good luck.

Reply to
powellwd3

Thanks for the info. I have not found much on what Volvo systems will fit what. So the SC-900 will fit the mid 90s 850s? If so, that will be what I am looking for although I do already have the Alpine 6 disc changer and separate amp.

Reply to
John Doe

I understand that the SC-800 and 900 stereos will fit 850s and 960s/90 series and early V70s. The 800s are interchangeable (no mods to wiring harness) but that the 900 series radios which I believe were used only on the V70 series, use an external amp that will have to be mounted in your dash/console.

Your local Volvo dealer may be able to tell you which audio systems will work in your 850. I consulted them for recommendations regarding my wife's 940.

Reply to
powellwd3