differential lube...?

Let's say that you have bought a used Volvo. And let's say that the previous owner as well as the shop that serviced it have shown to be not all that dependable or trustworthy. And now you want to top off the differential but you don't know if it is limited slip or not. How could you determine what lubricant to lose?

I looked at the original window sticker and it does not have a limited slip differntial listed, but am planning on eventually pulling the cover to drain it, so would I know by looking inside if I had to?

THANKS! __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

jack up one rearwheel and see how hard it is to turn the wheel. (if the car falls of the jack you've got a winner ;) ) Or try looking for the manufacturers label usually on the nose of the diff.

Reply to
m-gineering

With the transmission in neutral, jack up one rear wheel, and try to turn it. If it turns, then you have an open diff, if not, then you have a limited slip. When you remove the diff cover, you will be able to see the 4 small bevel gears inside the carrier if you have an open diff. These gears are not visible with a limited slip.

Reply to
Mike F