DIY Body Work - When To Say No?

Okay, the work on my has 1978 264GL has begun. The autotransmission is shifting a little hard, no doubt it needs to be flushed, just monitoring that. Didn't pick up the hood hinges yet as I've decided in stead to concentrate for now on the body. I've discovered that the rear body panel has actually been pushed in a little, maybe 1 1/2" (38mm); if you weren't familiar with the design, you'd almost think it was okay, it's so symmetrical (original owneer backed it into something, and parked it afterwards. Hence the extremely low miles; 45k!). I find myself torn here. I come from a former racing family and have a little bit of experience here, but this is no slight dent! I did manage to hammer out the one side where it wasn't as symmetrical, but the entire panel has to be pulled back out, as well as the bumper. I've looked for any additional damage, thankfully none. At this point I'm wondering if I should just sand off the rust, fill where necessary and have it painted and just leave the panel alone, since I think with a little work it really isn't noticeable, aside from the car being a little shorter! Thoughts?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Paint is the expensive part, so if you're gonna have it painted, do it right and have the sheetmetal fixed as well. Also don't skimp on the paint, you get what you pay for and if you try to save a few bucks you'll be wishing you'd had it done right every time you see it. Granted I'm a perfectionist but I figure if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Reply to
James Sweet

Good point. I've think I've figured out a way to pull it out. Turns out it isn't quite in 1" (25mm), so with rubber mallet and block in hand, I shall attempt to put it right. I took care of many of the rust spots this weekend, save for the major ones along the edge of the hood. This is actually going to be the area where I try out some filling techniques; probably easier to replace the hood, but I need the practice to be honest. As for color... going with as close a match as possible to the original silver green metallic (Volvo code 178). Otherwise, mechanically, this car is wonderful. Still plenty of power.

Rob

Reply to
Rob