Does the 850 saloon have folding seats?

Does the 850 saloon have folding rear seats? Would I be able to fit a mountain bike in the boot of saloon, maybe with the seats down it would be ok?

Reply to
George

No.

A bike-rack attaches nicely to the boot. Also, I have managed to fit a bike inside the 850 (after taking the front wheel off).

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Every 850 sedan (saloon) I've ever seen has folding rear seats - and I've put a bike in my more or less identical S70 with the rear seats folded.

Reply to
Mike F

Interesting. I know the rear seats in our S70 do fold down, and was pretty sure that they don't fold down in our 850, but truth be told, I haven't actually looked -- I've just sort of assumed that they don't.

I may very well be mistaken, and will post the outcome here in a couple hours.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Heck, I've transported a single bed mattress in my 850 "boot" (read:trunk), with the lid closed and seats folded....to the amazement of the guys on the loading dock...LOL K

1993 850 GLT in 601 RED @ 280,000km (OK, so there's no A/C anymore...)

Reply to
K Bourke

An unrelated question:

In the USA they say race cars are running nose-to-tail or in traffic they are running bumper-to-bumper.

In the UK do they say race cars are running boot-to-bonnet?

Reply to
Stephen Henning

No we usually say bumper to bumper. Never heard anybody say boot-to-bonnet.

So what is the answer to my question, do the rear seats fold on a vovlo 850. Conflicting replies here. I cant imagine them not being folding on some models and folding on others.

Reply to
George

Yes- roughly 60:40.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"My '93 850 sedan/saloon had a rear seat that had a center section that folded down exposing port through which you could put skis or a movie screen through. There was no way you could put a bicycle in the trunk and the back seat. There was bicycle rack that fit in the trailer hitch.

On 850 estates/station wagons, there are 60/40 rear seats that fold down flat. You can easily carry a bicycle in it. The other day I carried a

10' pipe inside my 850 wagon.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

Wrong - only estates (wagons) have folding seats. Saloons (sedans) have fixed rear seating except for the "cubby-hole" as mentioned by Stephen.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Sounds like there might be a variation between countries.

My (sold in Australia) '96 850 has fold down rear seats, roughly 40:60, and a "ski" hole behind the fold down arm-rest / child seat.

For those who say their's don't fold down, check in the boot, it's possible to lock them so they can't be folded down, as a security measure for denying access to the boot, for example when you give the "service" key (for want of a better name) to someone else. Check the owners' manual.

Regards Barry

Reply to
Baz

"Peter K L Milnes" wrote in news:d31qlv $mkq$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com:

My 95 850 Sedan (US) has the cubby hole behind the fold down armrest, but the seats also fold down, 60/40 split. A friend's

93 was the same way.
Reply to
bc

Sorry peter, you are wrong- all european 850's and S70's have folding rear seats, I could go out to the garage and fold them in two cars which are sat there!

If they didnt fold- you'd have no way to remove the parcel / hat shelf to get at the speakers which are there!

Don't forget there are two red "dis-arm" tabs in the boot/trunk which need to be flicked before the seat back release levers in the passenger compartment will actually unlock the seat.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

And I can tell you that my brother's '94 has seats that fold down 60/40, as well as the pass through.

Reply to
Mike F

< [...]

As unlikely as it may seem, this may be the case. I'm certain that I've seen a sedan model advertised with a choice of rear seat configurations: either 60/40 folding, OR non-folding but with a ski pass-through plus integral child seats. The big caveat is, I can't swear this was even a Volvo that I'm remembering, much less an 850 of a certain year and from a certain market. But basically, it is possible that both setups exist.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Thanks for the helpfulness Tim. I would have thought that the parcel shelf was accessible from inside the boot as in 944s and previous models (240/260 and 740/760). My 944 has two large elliptical speakers fitted to the parcel shelf which have Volvo identification markings on them!

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes