doing a/c for 81 240, r134a/official kit/auxilary fan/new compressor/alternative refrigerants, req advice!

System was of course as usual not that good, and leaky.

  1. Compressor has seized up. I'm going to get a reman or junkyard one, Old piston york. Cheaper/better replacements? I've seen a physical adapter for a new style compressor, but do hoses fit? new location of charging ports???

2.Volvo has the official r134a upgrade kit, with new hoses and evaporator (!!!!?? would have thought condensor would be the big upgrade) and accumulator. $200 good deal, but those components might not need to be replaced. Should I really bother? (can't pressure test because compressor is leaking)

  1. System needs to get cold FAST. Going to add an aux fan to the condenser, also r134a just isn't that good, I was thinking about replacements, like HC, which I've heard are "too good" and end up freezing over the evap (heh, I don't mind, car will be home by then). What refrigerants really outperform r134a? (I have a case of it already, if it's not that much, forget it) I don't care to debate the "downsides" of HC, just want to know if it's worth the money for cooling power.

Thanks all.

Reply to
D Banerjee
9

About 10 years ago I replaced my dead York compressor and most of the seals and then had it recharged with R12. I did the work myself and it wasn't that difficult.

Another refrigerant option is DuraCool 12A

I don't no anything about price or how cold it gets.

Reply to
Brick_0

Here's a shortened IPD url:

Brick_0

21&NodeIDE15&RootIDb> 9

Reply to
Brick_0

$42&PartType87&PTSet=A Is this the compressor? Listed as "A6" Evap inc 2442 remanufactured. All the others that actually specify york are ~$320..

I would stick with the York compressor. Check out both new and rebuilt here:

$140.99 used. I am still running R12 but if I convert I will only change the valves on the compressor and the receiver/dryer. Take a look at IPD's R134a conversion kit. If your system has been dead for awhile it would be a good idea to replace the seals.

21&NodeIDE15&RootIDb9