Dolby-compatible stereo that plays CD-R's?

As the new owner of a '99 C70 with the 901 stereo, I am stunned that a unit with such advanced features as the station/song text mode (I forget the acronym for that at the moment) can't do something as basic as play a CD-R!

What units are out there - Volvo or not - that will interface with the C70's wiring harness and Dolby-surround speaker package and play CDRs? Thanks.

Reply to
Fred Dehl

Are you saying: A: it doesn't have a CD drive in the radio or B: it won't play recorded CD's in the CD drive?

I can't help you for A... Don't know what fits your car.

As for B, I haven't seen a CD player made this century that won't play CD format recorded CD's. Are your recorded CD's in MP3 format? There are still a lot of players that won't play MP3 format CDr's. Try re-encoding them as CD format and they will play.

Reply to
Clay

Clay wrote in news:ipBpf.44019$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Probably so, but as I stated I want one that is compatible with the C70's dolby speaker package, so I need (presumably) a Volvo OEM unit or an after-market one designed specifically for Volvos.

No. Audio CDs that play fine in every other device I own (standalone, DVD, discman, computer, marine CD unit, even laserdisc player).

Reply to
Fred Dehl

...these may all be MP3 compliant devices. Not all that unusual these days. Have you looked at the CD's on your PC to see if they are CD format or MP3? Where'd you get the CD's? Kids burn them for you? They might have grabbed a bunch of stuff (MP3's) for their iPods and put them on a disk.

This may very well not be the problem but if we keep this topic up at the top, maybe an expert will jump in and solve it... *g*

Reply to
Clay

It´s a common problem on the SC-901, some say you can fix it by burning the CDs at slowest speed, x1. I have 6 cd Volvo changer in the trunk, it takes CDRs.

Only the SC-900 and SC-901 can connect to the dolby sorround amplifier.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Clay wrote in news:c%Epf.36807$q%. snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Good grief, get off the MP3 kick, idiot. plonk

Reply to
Fred Dehl

The Volvo stereo in my '99 V70 XC (non-Dolby surround) wouldn't play half of my CD-Rs either. I replaced it with a Pioneer, since they'll play anything.

You might check with the guys at the Audio Forum here regarding what works with your surround processor:

Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Try decent blanks, a better burner, slower speed and investigate what program is being used for the copies. How the copies are done can effect if they will work in "sensitive" players.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

As an owner of a C70 wiht the same problem. There are two fixes I find that work

1) record the material on CD R/W discs at 2x not a higher speed- do not ask why just know it works better- but not in all cases 2) I have a 3 disc Alpine changer in the boot with an adapter cable from Apline - this plays all types of discs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reply to
Thomas Reid

Thomas Reid wrote in news:1136472388.37848@sj-nntpcache-5:

Can you tell me the model number for the changer and the cable? Thanks for the information!

Reply to
Fred Dehl

I have a '99 C70 with the 901 (which I love the sound of), and I have had problems with reading CDRs. I'll echo several of the suggestions, and add a little more detail:

- Burn at half the max rated speed of your burner. This also extends the lifetime of your burned disks considerably, as CDRs will fail over time. No, they're nowhere near as permanent as pressed CDs.

- Use Taiyo Yuden blanks, available from

or
(these will also extend burned CDR life). I recommend white printable ones, since the non-printable ones have very little protection for the data layer and scratch easily (that's on the top, not the bottom), destroying the disk. Sure, other blanks will work, but these are the best, and brand names like Maxell and Memorex don't mean anything in terms of who actually made the blanks.

- Don't use paper labels. I used to, and had several CDRs get stuck in the in-dash 3 disk changer, requiring removal with hemostats. One got stuck enough I had to get the changer replaced, fortunately under warranty. These were Neato labels, and others may work better, but I won't use paper labels in mine.

I've done quite a bit of research on CDR lifetimes and have gathered a great deal of data on early failures, partly highlighted by the C70's player. These hints make long-lived CDRs that work in all my players.

max

Reply to
max