Door Locking on Key Turn

Hello!

Car in question: 1995 Volvo 850 w/ Turbo

A couple months ago I got my ignition switch replaced by a very reputable shop. They specialize in foreign cars and seem to very knowledgable with Volvos.

Around 3 weeks after I had it replaced, my car, after it had been run for awhile, refuse to start. When you turn the key, it locks the doors (not a standard occurence). Once it set the alarm off. Sometimes when this is happening, the brake pedal causes the dash lights (check engine, brake, etc) to turn off when it is pressed.

The problem seems to happen at random times, but it does always seem to be when the engine is warm. I don't believe that it has ever happened at the first start in the morning.

I am getting very frustrated with it. The mechanic said that he doesn't believe it could be anything that they caused when they put the switch in, but it seems to be related since it never happened before the switch was replaced (but it could just be coincidence).

Does anyone have any idea what it could possibly be?

Thanks,

A Troubled Volvo Owner

Reply to
lpopejoy

...Some additiona information.

I replaced the battery because the terminal was lose inside of the battery, hoping that was the problem. Obviously, that didn't fix it.

I tried the suggestion of locking & unlocking the door via the key in the driver's side door. It does seem to be a security feature though from what I've been able to derive from some other posts. Is there a possibility of disabling the whole security module?

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions!

A Troubled Volvo Owner

Reply to
lpopejoy

Sounds like it's time to take it in to the shop.....

Bite the bullet and get a trained professional to debug it.

Reply to
byrocat

Sounds like a ground connection problem to me. A bad ground can cause all sorts of weird stuff to happen as current finds unexpected paths to complete the circuit.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Apr 30, 3:48 pm, James Sweet wrote: Another quick update...

It appears that removing the negative battery cable for around 10 sec fixes this problem... I don't know why, but I thought that that may add light to the problem!

Thanks!

A Troubled Volvo Owner

Reply to
lpopejoy