Dual Exhaust Flow Master Cat Back...1989 GL

YOUR THOUGHTS? IS IT POSSIBLE? INCREASED PERFORMANCE?

Reply to
Pete

What exactly are you asking? You won't gain much power from changing the exhaust on a standard B230. You will increase noise and change the power band. Is this what you want? If your after any increase you can get then do it IF you have a good shop. Most people "feel" there car is faster when they get a nice note from the exhaust.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

Sort of like having a Harley! "The decibel level of the exhaust is inversely proportionate to the a) IQ level and b) the size of the weenie." __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

ITs funny you say that actually.........lol

Here is why....... I had modified a 1996 Mustang. Put a blower on it, lowered it by 2 inches, dual exhaust flow masters out the back, etc etc. The thing could FLY!! Well it just got stolen 2 weeks ago with no hope in site of getting it back.

I am stuck with my 89 volvo 240 gl and am try>

Reply to
Pete

Sounds like you forgot the LoJack installation.

Forget the tinting and dual exhausts.

Drop a V-8 into it and make it a sleeper. I believe Ford engines are popular; they reportedly fit better than Chevys.

The main thing you can do with the stock engine is add a turbo, or swap in a turbo engine and control system.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Hi Gary,

I have gotten a dozen emails from this post saying SWAP ENGINES. I am very willing to do so as well. Do you know of any big ford engines in particular that would fit nicely into my 1989 240GL? I have heard Ford fits nicely. I have about $5000 to put some muscle into this car.

Reply to
Pete

Gary,

You sent a few letters to me via E-mail. It is best to post all non-personal responses directly related to the thread in the group as others can benfit from them as well.

CHEERS!

PS- if I had the money I would love a pre-smog, 305 two door 'tang Volvo V8 conversion... Ooo! A "VOTANG"! Mustolvo...? Anyway... Anyone have a working link to the Vozilla video? I found it but it is not online any longer evidently I think. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

What, they bolt in with no modifications at all?

My 350 chev went in far more easily than the majority of other engine conversions I've inspected.

I certify modifications for registration for a living, so I can assure you that I've seen a lot of engine conversions!

The key to easily fitting Chevs to 2-series Volvos is to use a short water pump and corresponding accessories. Otherwise, the engine gets tight against the firewall, especially using a coil in cap type HEI like I do.

Let's see. New fabricated engine mounting crossmember (cost one carton of beer), a bent piece of 6mm plate welded to the original gearbox crossmember to fit the T350 mount, a shortened tailshaft, shortened Volvo auto linkage, mate turned up a bush to fit the GM speedo cable to the Volvo speedo, made bracket for Volvo's P/Steer pump, dented the radiator crossmember to fit the GM radiator. The exhaust was a bit painful but I'll eventually redo it with extractors.

The expensive part was when I got my Ford 9-inch modified to fit. The rear uni joint had to be changed to suit the Ford pinion yoke but the tailshaft didn't have to change.

Reply to
athol

You need to spend some time with Google and at some of the Volvo sites. We can fill you in on some of the details but you need to be looking into all aspects. That way you know ALL your options and can make the correct decision.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

[ ... ]

That's what C

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

ROFL...classic!

RS

wrote; "The decibel level of the exhaust is inversely proportionate to the a) IQ level and b) the size of the weenie."

Reply to
Rusty

Wish I had thought it up, but that has been around for some time. Another was the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" motto that is so prevalent with the motorcycling crowd that tends to have loits of tattoos and a pit bull at home. I have know a few, and their favorite response to anything you say to them is "WHAT?" Mst have lost a good percentage of their hearing.

On the BMW motorcycle group ("Airheads," were all the members have air-cooled, overhead valve pushrod motors) we had another saying: "Loud Valves Save lives" With the newer fuels we have to run .006" and .008" clearance and the valves are quite tappity... __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

LOL I thought it was hilarious my self and I'm the one who write the dual exhaust post. I guess its the small weenie problem since I have two masters degrees!! LOL

Reply to
Pete

They also say, "You know what big hands and big feet mean...?" I wear an 8½ shoe but an extra large glove- sort of averages out in between. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

"Pete" wrote:

Reply to
Randy G.