Elderly 480 - dim light in Information Centre

I recently bought an elderly (1988) 480ES. I've known the car for years, drove it occasionally when new. It's a short term purchase to see me through the winter.

The problem is that the suddenly the info centre display has gone so dim as to be unreadable. You can JUST see that the display is there but not in any usable way. someone slammed the passenger door the other day and the display came on at normal brightness during that trip, but nothing since.

Sounds like a loose connection - but how does one get behind the instrument panel to poke around?

Any ideas/help suggestions, please?

While I'm in help-seeking mode, there is an annoying clunking noise from behind when driving on rough roads. I noticed it as I drove the car to its annual MOT test (for non-UK readers, that's the roadworthiness test) just before Christmas. I thought it was just something loose rolling around the tool compartment I've checked since and it wasn't). The car got throught the test (at a trusted garage) so it shouldn't be a suspension or structural problem - but the noise is still there.

I'll probably go back to the garage eventually - but they are quite a distance away and any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

RogerH

Reply to
Roger Hird

Roger,

Also look at

Your answers can be found at the Forum.

Greetings,

Robert

Reply to
Rob-480-V70

Indeed - many thanks for this very useful URL!

RogerH

Reply to
Roger Hird