Electric Motors

How many electric motors does your car have? My '87 740 has 27 (unless I can think of any more). Higher spec., newer cars should easily be able to exceed this.

1 x starter motor 1 x windscreen wiper 1 x rear screen wiper 2 x headlight wipers 2 x screen wash bottle (front and rear) 1 x radio aerial 1 x cassette player 4 x window motors 5 x door/tailgate lock motors 1 x heater blower 4 x door mirror motors (2 in each) 2 x fuel pumps 1 x electric clock 1 x LPG/petrol actuator (as per conversion to LPG)

Sometime soon I may be fitting one to the sunroof. I've not counted the speedo or rev counter, though I suppose these could be included on a technicality.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Idle control valve on mine is a true DC motor.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Reply to
jcshreve

Don't overlook the motor that drives your odometer...

Reply to
jcshreve

Some of those 'motors' on your list may not be motors. I think one or two of them may be solinoids instead, mainly the Locks (unless you have one of those trunks that latch partly open then pull it the rest of the way closed), and the LP actuator might be one as well. (many are solinoids)

Erik of Ekedahl

Reply to
Erik Ekedahl

Door/locks are solenoids,

3 seat motors in my driver seat 1 sunroof motor 2 radiator fans

945-93 295000kms

Reply to
Alfred

I have a DC fan to replace the (surprise!) non-functiong A/C.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Motors are motors in all cases. Solenoids not counted.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Are you sure about this? I'm surprised that your 940 should be different to my 740 on this detail.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

  1. I'm thinking that a high spec. car with 3 way electric seats, interior mirror, convertable roof, self closing doors, DVD player, and any number of other things, may be able to exceed 50.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Absolutely sure, cause I had to open the panel to install a remote !

Stewart Hargrave a écrit:

Reply to
Alfred

"Stewart Hargrave" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The heat control valve and air distrubution are both controlled by motors on modern cars, not sure about how many.

/Erik Lidén

Reply to
Erik Lidén

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the new Phaeton (VW) and Maybach (Mercedes) have over 100 individual motors each :-)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The "lock motors" on my 740 are solenoids as well, there's two of them that pull in on opposing sides of a lever, it's all one assembly and is technically a motor as is any other solenoid, they convert electrical energy into mechanical motion, solenoid is simply a subclass.

Reply to
James Sweet

OK. My experience is only with units that have little motors in them, as fitted to my current 740, and some earlier 200s

FFS, it was just an mildly amusing distraction that I idled away a traffic jam with. I wasn't hoping for an exposition of subtle points of definition.

Jeez... Volvo owners, eh?

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Lucky you don't have power seats!!! There's another 8 motors...

Reply to
vinran1