Electrical problem 1985 740

Good day,

I have some sort of electrical problem with my 85 740 (and who hasn't?).

The other day I noticed that all the indicators did not come on when I turned the key. The car did start however.

All that comes on is the up-shift indicator, the oil pressure warning light and the seat belt indicator.

Drove the car that day.

Next battery was dead. Still there is an issue with indicators. I assume battery is not getting charged.

Charged battery cleaned battery terminals and small ground to chassis and car started. Disconnect the small ground wire and the car will not run.

Indicators are still not right.

Battery and alternator are both fairly new. Failure of either of these would not affect the indicators once the battery was charged.

I can hear what I believe to be a relay clicking under the center console (seat belts?).

Seems like I have lost ground somewhere.

Before I start tearing the dash board (facia) apart?

Where are the grounds in this car? Where does the instrument cluster get ground? Where does the electrical panel (relays and fuses) get ground?

Is there another chassis/body ground?

What would cause the battery to die (or more probably not get charged)?

On cold days, indicators take a while to come on. Car will not start until indicators come on (I suspect that is normal). Changed fuel filter and delay seemed less.

TIA

jimB

-------------------------------------------- JimB

-------------------------------------------- my SPAM defense: Replace all the X's in email address with M

Reply to
jimb

You could check the chassis/body ground near the head lights.

Reply to
john

Try moving the key back and forth just a little bit in each direction. If the contacts don't line up just right in a worn igniton switchnthe dash lights don't come on. Alternatively if the ground wire from the instument cluster isn't making contact the lights won't come on.

Bob

Reply to
User

Bob

I will try that again.

I am concerned about why the battery went dead and I am assuming that the issue with the indicators is related and not a coincidence.

Given what I know about Volvo electrics, I need to locate and check all grounds.

Instrument cluster and relay panel mainly.

jimB

-------------------------------------------- my SPAM defense: Replace all the X's in email address with M

Reply to
jimb

The missing warning lights are all turned on at the same time as the amp (aka battery) light. If the alternator fails in a certain way, not only will you get no warning lights, you'll get no charging. This seems to be what has happened in your case. This may require only brushes, the whole voltage regulator, or the whole alternator, depending on what has failed. Also check the thin red wire at the alternator, as well as the thick blue ground wire.

Reply to
Mike F