Engine and Gaas Smell

I own a 1988 240DL Station Wagon. Latley I have been smelling what seems to be an exaust or gasoline smell inside the car. A friend of mine suggessted it might be a leaky gas line or something to do with venting in the car. I'd like to get some ideas before I take it to a mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
aplusboy

I had the same issue with my sedan so I'm not sure if the wagon is the same. My problem was a small vent tube in the trunk had come loose and small amounts of gas was getting in the trunk. After securing I havent had any issues. You might also check your fuel filter.

Haynes recommends checking the connection between the filler neck and the tank as well as fuel feed and return lines.

Reply to
tlr1000

The wagon is just the same, the filler is behind the side panel in the cargo area right where it is in the sedan. The sheetmetal is virtually identical in that area.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had trouble at the opposite end on my '83. The fuel rail cracked and was spraying fuel all around under the hood. Got everything nice and clean. Epoxy fixed it for a day or two. When it started spraying again, figured it was time to replace it (or start carrying a bag of marshmallows and a couple coat hangers.)

Reply to
clay

Check the gasket around the hatch for damage; it could be allowing exhaust fumes into the interior. Also verify it's latching correctly; if it's loose, that could allow fumes to get in.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Another potential cause of gas smell inside the car can come from the soft metal fuel filler opening becoming oblong from the weight of fuel nozzles. The cap doesn't seal it properly and the fumes will enter the trunk area and then the car. Careful reforming with channel locks can help resolve this.

Reply to
Dale Prince