Engine Rattle

I have a 96 Volvo 850 GLT. On start up some times the top of the engine will rattle for a few seconds and stop. The oil and filter are ok. Can the oil be dirty? Can the filter be the wrong one? Can I be using the wrong oil? It seems this will happen when it is cold outside. Thanks

Reply to
jpenn

sounds like the hydraulic valve lifters. Oil to thick or the lifters are worn

Reply to
M-gineering

This happens with my 1995 854T upon starting after sitting for a day or more without being run. It makes a sound like tappets with insufficient oil. It stops in ~ 1 - 2 seconds. I've noticed it for ~ 5 years. The oil and filter have been changed every 5,000 mi. without fail. The car has 85,000 mi. I suspect it's normal.

Check to make sure you're using the right oil for cold weather.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man

Thank you for the reply......Jim

Reply to
Jim Pennington via CarKB.com

Rick, I live in Alabama and the weather does get in the 20's only for a short time. I am using 20w50 vavoline. I will look into using a lower viscosity oil. I do change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles because of the short distances I drive. This rattle started when it was cold. Thanks for your information.........Jim

Reply to
Jim Pennington via CarKB.com

That info clinches it. The early 850 engines had problems with early hydraulic lifter failure. Post '94 engines have better lifters, but the oil passages are supposedly still too small. That's why a lot of 850 owners use synthetic or synthetic blend oil. You'd be much better off with 10W-30 high-quality oil.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Thank you, I will look into changing to a higher quality synthetic oil........ .Jim

Reply to
Jim Pennington via CarKB.com

consult your manual: it should have a table which viscosity is permissble for your conditions, and which min. API classification is needed. Both these are far more important than synthetic vs nn synthetic arguments.

Reply to
M-gineering

Thank you I have done just that..........Jim

Reply to
Jim Pennington via CarKB.com

As someone else mentioned, it doesn't have to be synthetic, just high-quality and the right viscosity. Synthetic oil is a double- edged sword: it keeps those oil passages clean, but often seems to cause Volvo seal to leak...

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski