"ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE NEEDED" - Your advice please!

A couple of days ago, the message "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE NEEDED" appeared in the dashboard display of my 2007 (not latest shape) V70 D5 - accompanied by a yellow warning triangle.

When the message was displayed, the car seemed to be in "limp home mode", and wouldn't go any faster than about 40mph.

I discovered that pressing the READ button suppressed the message, and that the car would then perform normally. However, the message would re-appear every time the ignition was turned on after a stop.

However, today, I did a longer journey, not stopping the engine for 50 or 60 miles. Upon restart, the message did not appear - and has not appeared after subsequent re-starts. According to the handbook, pressing the READ button stores any messages in the memory - and they can be re-read later by pressing it again. However, when I now press READ, it says NO MESSAGES!

Can anyone throw any light on the possible cause of all this? Was this a real fault, or just a spurious reading from a sensor - which initially latched in the system but re-set when it didn't re-appear after X miles? If I take it to a dealer and have the system memory analysed, are they likely to discover anything, or am wasting my money?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Turning the lite off does not correct the problem. Having the codes read, as a result of the lite tells you where the problem lies and that in turn allows for a semi-intelligent repair.

cselby

Reply to
Roger Mills