exhaust smoke (85 245, 2.3)

I just replaced the engine wiring harness on my wagon. Before I did that I had some slight smoking issues with my car, kinda white but more like it is when you start up on a cold day. I smelled it, and it didn't smell like anti-freeze (of course, I dont know if thats a sign). My coolant level hasn't noticeably gone down any either (although I did just add some recently, even if I didn't need to). It would still be smoky after my drive into work (17 miles on the highway), but more like it is when you're still warming up.

Today, after starting it up for the first time in a while (for more than a few minutes) it seemed to be a bit smokier than usual. Not like it was smoking like a chimney, but a little more smoky. I am hoping it can be explains by the fact we're experiencing a cold stretch right now.

It's now a bit more grey than before (which I've seen implies maybe a brake leak?), but it smells kinda rich, but still no anti-freeze smell.

I do know I need to replace my plugs, and with a healthier wiring harness maybe some of the smoke can be explained (need to re-tune stuff to compensate for the changes that I had adjusted things to)..but I'm wondering if it's something simple or major.

On the test drive trip I did, I stopped for about 45 seconds on a flat spot, and then went up a hill and thats when I noticed it was smokier than normal. It didn't lose any power, or whatever either. The engine didn't make any different sounds than normal (clicks and a slight knock).

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

White smoke on startup is perfectly normal - it's water vapor. You will see more of it in cold weather and less in warm. I'd only worry if you smell antifreeze, see your coolant level dropping, or if it continues to increase.

Reply to
mjc1

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit the following things.

  1. It was as simple as (so far) needing new plugs

  1. I had an issue with my thermostat not showing anything, and it was because I was unable to read simple instructions.

  2. I put my canoe on top of my wagon today, and I probably did it stupidly. :)
Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

If it needed new plugs, then the smoke should have been brown. (Blue smoke would mean oil was being burned.) Maybe it's just a perception issue, but actual white smoke doesn't mean bad plugs.

Reply to
mjc1

It was more brown than white, I was poor in describing it.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan