Fast Idle 740 Estate

1988 740 2 Litre Estate

I have had an intermittent problem with the engine running fast at idle. The revs at idle could be as high as 2700 level but mainly in the 1500 rev range. The problem seemed to have gone away for the past 6 months of its own accord however as with most faults it has started up again. What I have now noticed that the fault normally happens after a long run say over 1 hours driving. Any ideas what this problem is.

Reply to
noreply

Probably an intermittent throttle position switch. Open the throttle manually and you should hear a faint "click" right after opening. If not: adjust/replace!

"noreply@invalid" skrev i meddelandet news:KhiXc.56$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Andy

It could sound like a vacuum leak, check all hoses maybe one is cracked and only leaks in certain positions.

RiBe

Reply to
Ricky Behrendt

I have a 740 SE with the 2 litre B200E engine and am having real trouble with a rough idle problem which has recently started.

The car when idling feels very lumpy and also semms very rich e.g. like it is running on three cylinders. I have replaced the normal things e.g.

Air Filter, Plugs, Leads, Distributor Cap, Rotor Arm, Checked for air leaks and so on ...

But the problem is still there, could anyone else shed some light on this ?

Engine runs fine otherwise, this is just on idle, not so bad when warm.

Regards, Gavin Jones

Reply to
Gavin Jones