FCP Groton - OEM vs After Market Suspension Products

I need to replace most of my front end suspension, including tie-rods, ball joints, etc. FCP Groton has OEM and After Market products and I wanted to know if anyone can recommend the After Markets.

The After Market ball joints are less than 1/2 of the TRW ($13.50 vs $32) and the almost the same for tie rod ends ($9 vs $15).

By themselves the price isn't all that much, but when you start adding up the parts, the savings can make a difference.

Are the after markets just as good or should I go with the OEMs?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

For those parts, I would go with the TRW parts. They are generally known good. If you're worried about the price, just call the Volvo dealer, and then you'll feel much better!

And for ANY suspension part or engine mounts, never, ever, buy anything made by Scan-Tech or MTC. EVER!

You didn't grow up in Brookline, did you?

Greg

"Jamie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
GW

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I bought anything by Scan Tech or MTC, but i'll double check.

I never heard of Brookline, I'm outside of Dallas, TX.

Thanks, JB

Reply to
Jamie

I just checked and I did purchase an exhaust manifold gasket set by Scan-tech and an oil pan gasket and breather box hose to oil pan, by MTC from FCP Groton.

Reply to
Jamie

Well, I meant suspension parts in particular. I have used some Scan-tech gaskets that seemed to be ok. It kind of depends on what parts you are buying. The MTC parts seem to be even worse than the Scam-tech parts in general. I had an MTC headlight switch (for a 240) that lasted about 5 months. The original part had lasted about 17 years. Go figure.

Greg

Reply to
GW

You should not need to replace the mechanical components of the suspension, such as tie rods. It should only be necessary to replace the bushings (three per side) ball joints (one per side) and sway bar bushings and link rods (link rods are available in kits, one per side, support bushings available seperately, two needed). If there is any problem with the upper strut mounting bushes they can also be replaced. Don't forget that there are replaceable bushings on the rear suspension, as well as Panhard rod bushings and the bushings in the shock absorber eyes). You will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in stability with new bushings all round, besides being a lot cheaper on the wallet.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Thanks Peter. This is exactly what I was needing to know, because I saw where some things only need the bushing parts replaced and not the whole thing.

I plan to do a 360 degree sweep - tires, shocks, struts and everything that wears out in between.

Reply to
Jamie

Also, I left VLV World out because initially they were more expensive than FCP's cheapest. Now, they fall about in the middle of FCP's aftermarket and OEM.

BUT, VLV World doesn't list the manufacturer.

Then there is IPD.

So, any recommendations for FCP, IPD or VLV for these suspension parts?

Thanx

Reply to
Jamie