Fixed floor shift light - dash lights out now.

On my 1985 245 I had no floor shift light. I pulled the plastic cover off the shift to see 2 wires - 1 red and 1 red/white. The red/white was cut. I repaired this and the light came on. So, I reassembled everything and then tested - no light. Not only no more floor light - the dash lights went out.

I checked the fuse panel (I never saw fuses like that before) - but the fuse for the dash/ rear fog lights checked out OK. I'm thinking I shorted something. Still - no floor lights and no dash lights.

Any ideas?

Second thing, probably unrelated - under the driver's dash panel in the upper right is a cluster of wires and a red wire is not connected to anything. Tomorrow I'll upload a photo. Just curious.

Thanks! Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Here is the photo of the red wire. This would be to the top right of the driver kick panel. The column is the steering column.

Jamie

It sounds like you shorted something and burned out the dimmer rheostat, I did that on my dad's 240 a few years ago.

That sounds like the tach wire, I'm assuming the car doesn't have a tach installed in the cluster?

Reply to
James Sweet

Here is another link to the photo

Jamie

Nope, no tach.

I'll pull the dash cover and see if I can fix.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

Yep, that's the tach lead. It's handy that they prewired all the '81 and later 240s for that option.

Reply to
James Sweet

You da man! I pulled the cover off the dash panel, saw the wires to the dimmer, reached underneath and unplugged those wires. I spliced the wires together and everything came on.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie