"Floating" feeling at high speeds+other problems-fix or junk car?

My 1988 Volvo 240 DL has served well for many years, but is now worth under $1,000. Its main use to me right now is if it can last for six or more months and save me from having to buy another car right away.

My first problem is, the steering has a "floating" feeling at high speeds. The wheel feels loose and I can jiggle it a half inch or inch without the car changing direction. The car seems to need more active steering to stay on course. At first I thought this was a suspension problem, but now I'm leaning towards steering. It also feels a little loose when driving at lower speeds. However, the car steers fine and when I'm turning I feel no problems.

There's also an intermittent "tick tick tick" sound from the back wheels when the car is cold. It always goes away, but I wonder if a strut is going. And finally, I sometimes hear a light rattle when accelerating hard or going up a hill, especially when cold.

I'm wondering if I should fix these or just junk the car soon. The steering bothers me most. If it's not dangerous I could just leave it alone, but I don't want to find out the hard way that I ignored something important. I drive 17 miles to work, most of it highway, and don't want to develop a sudden steering problem at 60 mph.

I moved recently and my old mechanic is now too far away, so I'd have to bring this to a new mechanic. Any ideas what it could be? And how much should it cost to fix?

Reply to
John Foyt

The sudden onset of looseness may be simple. Had any tire work done lately?

First item to check is tire pressure. All four should be the same if at max tire rating.The rear can be up to three pounds less than the front but the same for both rear tires. If the front are less than the rear, you can get that loose feeling.

Other problems with looseness. Bearings, tie rod ends, suspension bushings. My bet is on pressure. The others onset so slow you adjust every day and only notice if you or a mechanic check. Or if you hit a pothole or curb and damage has been done.

The tick may be a brake pad a bit loose in the caliper. When you first hear it, lightly apply the brake like you are getting ready to stop but not trying to stop.

The rattle while accelerating. Change gas stations, more important from a discount local to a major brand or even different major brand. Since you just moved, and gas is formulated differently for different locals, you may have a knock due to a border line octane rating. Run the tank low and change brands until your knock goes away. Quick test is to fill up with the high octane and see if the knock goes away. Ouch, I know, but a quick diagnostic for about two bucks more than a trip the mechanic at whatever they charge in the area.

Duane

Reply to
Duane

I *did* get four new tires recently. I'll check the pressure.

Much obliged for the other information as well. Very good information. I'll try all of those.

Reply to
John Foyt

Since the rack and pinion has no adjustment, the looseness could come from:

-worn tie rod ends (inner or outer)

-worn bushings in the steering rack

-worn bushings in the control arm (rear bushings most likely I think). These will often knock on very rough roads when they are separated from the rubber.

-loose (unadjusted) wheel bearings.

Mine went from responsive to wandering when the rear bushings got too loose.

Put the thing on stands, remove the front wheels, and really push/pull/tug on the suspension components. Use a pipe or pry bar. Loose steering is serious and should be checked for safety sake.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.