Flushing the coolant 850 auto

A while back my auto transmission fluid and coolant mixed due to a burst radiator. This I have fixed, and at the time did my best to flush out the remaining transmission fluid from the engine using a garden hose. I am still getting trans fluid residue in my coolant header tank. What is the best DIY way to clean out this residue....Any tricks or ideas.?

thanks.....ttfn......Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Depends how much oil is still in the engine really. Either you flush and flush and flush the engine with water to get out the residue or if there is alot in there, I have used neat engine degreaser, run the engine til luke warm then drain out and flush 2 or 3 times with water until it runs clean.

When it is clean, remove the header tank and pop it in your dish-washer when the Mrs isnt looking- will bring it up like new!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

"Alistair Ross" wrote: > A while back my auto transmission fluid and coolant mixed due > to a burst > radiator. This I have fixed, and at the time did my best to > flush out the > remaining transmission fluid from the engine using a garden > hose. I am still > getting trans fluid residue in my coolant header tank. What is > the best DIY > way to clean out this residue....Any tricks or ideas.? > > thanks.....ttfn......Alistair

Useprestone flush, only have to flush once. After doing that, take the bottom hose off the reservoir and run boiling hot water through, that will get rid of any excess tran fluid. Remember to use the correct coolant or you will be sorry in 3 or 4 months.

Reply to
Randyb

What's special about Volvo-brand coolant?

In what fashion will I be "in trouble" if I use a different brand?

How about if I mix them?

I topped mine up with Prestone (maybe a liter or so). Big mistake?

Thanks,

-----

-RL

Reply to