Ford Is Selling Volvo !!!

Porsche - smaller amount of high quality cars made the right way.

Yeah but Porsche parts cost like hell. $$$$$$$

If Ford has any sense they will leave the building of good cars to the Volvo Engineers.

The day I find a dashboard control equivalent on a Volvo to a Ford, I will quit them for good.

FYI

Reply to
Steve

Well not exactly. I just returned from visiting several auto manufacturing facilities in Germany, Czech Republic, Belgium, Sweden, and Shanghai. All of the facilities use modern assembly methods and look like they can turn out cars at about the same rate. Production, however was not flowing in a few locations. The demand for certain cars is down. There is discussion in some facilities of seeking alternate automotive products to manufacture.

Which brings me to the Subject topic.

Word is out in automotive circles that Ford is not happy with Volvo sales and is not sure what to do about it. The dominant belief is that Ford wants to sell Volvo. Some also say that the original Volvo Group is considering buying Volvo (cars) back with some backing from the Swedish government and also possibly oil money from Norway. This is just a rumor - but it I heard it from several disconnected sources.

Is this new news - or is it well known?

Reply to
Nospam

God I truly hope so. Volvo should turn into another Porsche - smaller amount of high quality cars made the right way.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I have no idea whether Ford wants to sell Volvo or not, but your facts about sales are wrong. You stated in your opening paragraph that Volvo sales are down. For the first half of 2003 (the last figures that I have access to), Volvo sales in the US was 23.8% higher than the same period of 2002. The figures for Canada was 12.5%

However, in the long run I anticipate that Volvo sales will dip perhaps by the end of 2006, as consumers recognize the Focus-based S40 for the TPOS that it will turn out to be. Unfortunately this will have a negative effect on the other models.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

This rumour pops up from time to time.

Volvo Cars sales, esp the XC90, and profit margins are very good. Volvo is actually the only company in the group that turns a profit right now.

Fords other brands in their PAG (Premium Automotive Group which consist of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo) are using Volvos expertice and safety research facilities.

The companies in the PAG are also developing a common platform together, that the next generation SUV and premium cars will be built on.

Volvos integration in the Ford group has been very successful, and Volvo have expertise in areas that other Ford group companies benefit from. There is no signs that Ford is planning to sell Volvo.

However, if you look at manufacturing some Volvo factories may very well be sold. Ford wants to cut production costs, and one way is of course to assemble their different car-brands in the same factories. /Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

GO BACK TO REAR WHEEL DRIVE as the only people who say FWD is any good are the guys selling the darn things as wheel as the spare parts guys .The latest Volvo looks so much like any other auto .

Reply to
John Robertson

"God I truly hope so. Volvo should turn into another Porsche - smaller amount of high quality cars made the right way."

Ditto!!!! Our S60 is such an awful example of a car, let alone a Volvo. After years of driving Volvo, we are being pushed away by a philosophy of putting fluff over value, quality, and safety - typical of so many manufacturers these days. Very sad state within Volvo. They are enjoying high sales now, but that has a lot to do with the SUV and the R's, not the mainstay they used to produce.

Reply to
Steve S

You are quite right in that the Volvo doesn't look like a box any more. The 850 was the first Volvo since the P1800/1800E/1800ES that was considered to be styled better than a shoe box. They were mighty sturdy and reliable shoe boxes, but boxes they were. At least now they have a chance of getting some aerodynamic efficiency, much more than the previous shoe box Volvos. And the aerodynamic efficiency of the non-XC models has proven to be quite high. They have more power and use less fuel. That is a good combination.

Regarding RWD, I wouldn't go back. The old Volvo RWD models were the only vehicles in their class that didn't go to independant suspension. I guess that is why they had so much body roll and their cornering was never very good. I am very pleased with the FWD and AWD models. They are a giant step forward.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Exactly. Consider that a S60 is about the same price as a base Boxter. It need not be a handmade luxury car, but it shouldn't be a rebadged Japanese car either.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The things is, a shoe box will save your life while the supper dupper aerodynamic fuel efficient car will kill you. Bigger (physically speaking) vehicles are more safe than smaller vehicles. There's plenty of data around you can search for to demonstrate that fact.

I prefer a shoe box, if this is what it takes to have personality. I don't need to drive a car that looks like a mazda, a nissan, a KIA, a honda, etc. .

True luxury cars are RWD. And I won't drive a FWD. I'm doing darn well with RWD no matter the road conditions. Plus RWD offers better weight distribution.

To each his own.

Reply to
Sammy

Further to my previous post:

"Bigger is safer

"A vehicle's size and weight are two of its most important safety features. Small cars have more than twice as many occupant deaths each year as large cars, in relation to their numbers on the road, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). And collision injuries consistently decrease as vehicle size increases.

"One reason: Most new cars have one-piece, or unibody, construction, with built-in crush zones that fold up like an accordion in a crash. These crush zones are designed to absorb crash forces before they reach the driver and passenger. The larger the crush zones, the lower the crash forces that reach the inside of the vehicle. Translation: Bigger cars are safer cars.

"With the increasing popularity of sport utility vehicles and pickups, the average weight of vehicles on the road is increasing these days. That makes lighter and smaller vehicles even more vulnerable in multi-vehicle crashes. (Note, however, that sport utilities are twice as likely to have rolled over than cars in fatal crashes, according to the NHTSA.)

This is not the document I recently read. But in the one I read (which I cannot find right now), you could clearly see that size matters. In fact, the pick-up truck like the Ford F-150 had among the smallest number of deaths.

Reply to
Sammy

I drive a RWD Volvo, ummm, its terrible in snow. TERRIBLE!! I got stuck near my sister's house, went to her place, got her 850 FWD out, and PULLED OUT MY 760!!!!

4WD is a better option, or AWD, not just RWD. Look at Audi, (Audi Canada doesn't sell FWD cars here, do they even still make a FWD car?)
Reply to
Myron Samila

The later 760 (1988) had rear independent suspension.

Reply to
Myron Samila

The new Volvo's are safer/as safe cars as the old ones were, due to modern technology.

I think the V70 is a gorgeous car, tho... yea.... I think I prefer the old

1993 965 tho, the interior in in, considering its age is damn impressive even now... and the exterior is holding up like it's been in a showroom all its life.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yes they make FWD.... and I believe you can still get a FWD A4, and A6 in Canada, or at least you could a few years ago (I follow VW, as we have two in addition to the Volvo, but I don't follow Audi as much, too much $)

near my sister's

doesn't sell FWD

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You have that problem because the 760 have too much weight on the front wheels as the engine is too heavy and the wheight balance is disturbed. Put some wheight into the trunk, (50 - 100 Kg, You must experiment a little) and the car will fly thru the snow...(almost)

Hah! My -69 Amazon is almost as good in the snow as those really heavy Audi's, but then I have an anti-spin rear axle. I feel that the Amazon is best wintercar, "she" have excellent wheight balance, not too heavy, not too light, the wheelbase is perfect to the wheight and lenght of the car, and she have a pretty small steeringcircle also. But even an 245 with the right suspension and dampers isn't that bad. Much better than any Ford Sierra, Mondeo, Opel or any Japcrap with independet suspension. I think that the worst wintercar ever is the Ford Granada (or maybe the Ford Taunus was even worse), and the Granada had independent suspension. But then, I live in Norway, and maybe our bad roads make us best at driving with tractors?

Have a nice weekend!

Reply to
Ola Valan

I disagree. Volvo sales are leading Ford's premier auto group, way ahead of Jaguar - X-types are not selling well at all.

The S60s and XC90s are doing very well, Volvo bumped up production of the XC90 to meet extra demand in the US. In fact, a V8 version is on the way, probably to power the S80 too.

Ford paid a bundle for Volvo and it would look foolish to bail. If it were, it would have sold Jaguar long ago, since it was never a volume capable company, ever. Volvo group did not have the resources to develop the products it needed to stay competitive. Ford gives it those resources. Besides, two new Ford models are using Volvo platforms - the 500 and the Freestyle, I believe.

Ford is shutting down current S40/V40 production because the platform is shared with a Mitsubishi - DaimlerChrysler. Ford does not want to build cars with the competition only an hour up the road.

Ford has its new platform for the European Focus, Mazda3 and Volvo S40/V50 ready to go.

I though I saw that Volvo had one of its best years, if not the best, last year. I would check Google news for that info.

At any rate, if Volvo Group bought Vovlo back, it would mark the death nell for the company. It takes huge resources to develop new models, especially with the new pedestrian impact standards in the EU for 2005. Volvo Group would have to hit a home run with every new product, and like 850 saved Volvo before, Volvo without Ford would be one miss from going away.

At least Volvo is helping Ford with safety testing and development. Saab and GM is another story. Look at what Saab is getting from GM - a subaru WRX rebadged and a Chevy Trailblazer rebadged! I'm not talking about a platform, the whole vehicle.

Ford has shown it will not give up on a marque, look at the work and money poured into Jag and Aston Martin.

I think Ford and Volvo will continue to live long and prosper, especially if the Swedes stay determined to be as independent as possible. It helps that Volvos are selling, sending that cash back to Dearborn.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Exactly I agree with you 100%, i'm not afraid of Ford owning them... The new S40 is built on a brand new chassis shared with Ford and Mazda, I swear some people here think of the old Focus too much when they hear it's based on the new one, and the old focus has a decent frame... its the rest of the car that had issues, and apparantly the european ones weren't too bad at all. The Mazda 3 is already out and tested, it's one of the most respected small cars on the market (tho i'd still buy a Golf or Jetta over one, because I am a Volvo/VW guy... two of the most die hard fans probably).

Ford is learning things about building cars, they are using the P2 frame to make three cars actually, the 500, the Freestyle, and a Mercury model for the US only. I am glad that people who want to "buy American" might be able to get a good car.

When I saw was GM did to SAAB at this 2004 Toronto autoshow I was upset, the

9-2 is a joke... If I wanted a shitty Subaru i'd buy one.

manufacturing

considering

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Sounds good to me. I liked Volvo when they were all about long product life cycles, rock solid engineering and sturdy construction. The "New" trend-chasing Volvo is a real turn off and there is less and less which truely distinguishes Volvo as a brand any more.

Personally I think they made a huge mistake joining the front wheel drive bandwagon. In all fairness that happened before the Ford marriage.

I don't really see what Ford gets out of owning Volvo. Ford has let it's Lincoln and Mercury so called premium car brands really languish while they chase dreams with Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin.

Let each go their own way!

John

Reply to
John Horner

But weren't Volvo '02 sales down quite a bit, which makes '03 at best getting back on par?

John

Reply to
John Horner