Ford Is Selling Volvo !!!

Who exactly would buy Volvo's remaining car factories?

Reply to
John Horner

The shoe box didn't hit me in the head getting in and out of the car nor did it introduce blind spots in the name of styling.

I think that Volvo's problem today is that it does not as a brand stand for anything unique. Volvo's safety engineering is now matched by countless competitors.

What then is special about Volvo today????

John

Reply to
John Horner

Years ago when Ford bought Lincoln from Henry Leyland it was a unique automobile. Look at Lincoln now.

At some point when money is tight Ford will put the squeeze on PAG and the products will follow the X-type model more and more. Tart up an cheaper car and sell it for more money.

Also it is kind of funny that during the years the press and analyst community was beating GM silly for having too many brand names they were praising Ford for running around the globe adding brand names.

Probably the worst effect the whole PAG thing has had on Ford is that Ford completely took it's eye off the basics of making saleable Ford automobiles. Remember when the Taurus was the #1 selling car in the US? Luckily for Ford they have the F150.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Very good post Patrik,

Rumours (and that's all it is) about this popped up several times over the past years. Volvo Cars is doing well; better than the other brands in the PAG Group, and better than its owner Ford.

Just BS.

Regards,

Metaxaman

Reply to
Metaxaman

I don't know where you get your figures from, but they are wrong. Volvo car sales for all of 2002 in NAFTA increased about 4% over 2001. My source is the US Auto Market Report published in 1/03.

The report goes on to state that the level of increase was "disappointing", but it was an increase nonetheless.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I agree with you 100% for the new Volvos made until 2003. We have yet to see any safety figures for totally new designs that will be introduced this spring.

Four years ago I sold a 10-year old 760 Turbo, that had been routinely maintained (with over 180,000 miles). It handled perfectly. The interior and exterior were perfect - down to the paint, although for the last two years the car had not been garaged. The impellers on the original Mitsu turbo didn't whine, and after ten years of service the turbo lag was just as low as it was when the car was new.

That was the last RWD Volvo I drove. I loved the handling. But the new AWDs handle better. I am not too fond of the FWD 850s.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I am very critical of the new S40/V50. The Mazda 3 got rave reviews. However, if you go on Mazda user groups on the web, drivers are having all sorts of nagging problems with this car (in handling, with the brakes, etc. etc.). I really don't care what happens on a $15,000 car. But if these problems also occur with the higher-priced S40/V50, Volvo's reputation for safety and engineering will dragged through the mud.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
gary vetri

Not countless, just the Toyota Camry which has a slightly lower fatality rate than the.Volvo 850/S70 [mid-size].

Using crash test results, the only other cars as safe as Volvo 850/S70 [mid-size] are:

BMW 5 series [luxury car] Buick LeSabre/Pontiac Bonneville [large car] Buick Park Avenue [luxury car] Cadillac Seville [luxury car] Chevrolet Lumina [large car] Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable [large car] Ford Windstar [passenger van] Lexus LS 400 [luxury car ] Toyota Camry [mid-size car] Toyota Sienna [passenger van] Volkswagen Passat [mid-size] Volkswagen New Beatle [small car]

Hence if you want a good, safe, reliable, economical vehicle with a good resale value, there aren't many others besides Volvo. Now, if you want such an AWD wagon, the choice is very limited. Definitely not countless.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

In general this is true. In specifics there are exceptions and the Volvo is one of them.

Using crash test results, the only other cars as safe as Volvo 850/S70 [mid-size] are:

BMW 5 series [luxury car] Buick LeSabre/Pontiac Bonneville [large car] Buick Park Avenue [luxury car] Cadillac Seville [luxury car] Chevrolet Lumina [large car] Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable [large car] Ford Windstar [passenger van] Lexus LS 400 [luxury car ] Toyota Camry [mid-size car] Toyota Sienna [passenger van] Volkswagen Passat [mid-size] Volkswagen New Beatle [small car]

Using fatality rates, the Toyota Camry [mid-size car] is the only car with a lower fatality rate than the.Volvo 850/S70 [mid-size].

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Actually, it was Saab, but Volvo is a close second. Letting GM run Saab into the ground is apalling - especially since they aren't really hurting for money with their military sales.

At least you can get a Volvo truck that's the real deal.

Q: what's the smallest Volvo truck that they make?

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I agree, Volvos have become generic cars. Sad. My wife refuses to buy another Volvo until they come to their senses again. Thank heavens her

850 combi is so well built thats its still going strong after 10 years.

Indeed. In dry conditions I'm not fussy but if you live in a cold climate nothing beats 4x4/AWD on icy roads. RWD is a nightmare in winter, even in a luxury car..

Reply to
dude2

Nothing. Hopefully Volvo wakes up soon.

Reply to
dude2

The toy ones.

They also made panel trucks. My dealer still drives an antique one.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I haven't driven the AWD or FWD Volvo's, but I have been driven in a V70

2.4T... The handling seems pretty decent, there is less body roll then my
Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'm pretty sure the S40 won't use the same parts for brakes and suspension as the Mazda, Volvo would most likely use parts more cost appropriate to a

30000 dollar car, not one from 1/2 its price range...
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Lmao. Of course you would. Unfortunately, it's not anything more than a souped-up Mazda with a Volvo exterior.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The toy trucks are new. See:

The smallest real truck (not tractor) in the North American market is the VHD:

VHD Trucks Standard Specs Before Customization

SPECIFICATIONS ? BBC - 113.6 in. ? Engine - Volvo VE-345 HP @ 1800 RPM; 1350 lb-ft @ 1100 RPM; Vectro II Electronic Engine Controls ?Cooling System - 900 sq. in. Radiator; On/Off Fan; Engine Mounted Fan Shroud ? Air Cleaner - 16" Single Stage Dry; Dual Side Air Intakes ? Exhaust System - Horizontal Muffler; Verticle Pipe; Spacesaver System ? Electrical - Three 12v1980 CCA Batteries; 12v110 Amp Alternator 33SI;

12v42 MT Starter ? Transmission - Eaton Fuller RTO-14908LL; 10 Speed; 15.5" Dampened Cerametallic Clutch ? Front Axle - Meritor FL941 20,000 lbs capacity ? Front Suspension - Multileaf 18,800 lbs capacity ? Rear Axles - Single - Meritor RS23-186 23,000 lbs capacity; Tandem - Volvo VBT4012R 40,000 lbs capacity T-Ride ? Rear Suspensions - Single - Rear Suspensions, Tandem - T-Ride, 2-leaf parabolic 40,000 lbs capacity ? Antilock Brakes - Meritor Wabco 4 Channel ABS ? Brakes - 16.5" X 6" Front; 16.5" X 7" Rear; Volvo 26.5 CFM Air Compressor; Meritor Wabco System Saver 1200 Air Dryer ? Frame - Heat Treated Alloy Steel; 11.81 X 3.54 X .31 ? Wheelbase - 134" to 320" ? Fuel Tank - 70 gallon LH; Steel; 22" diameter ? Cab - Galvanized HSS Steel; All Welded; Mechanical Cab Suspension with Dual Shock Absorbers; Integral Air Conditioner ? Wheels - 22.5 X 9.00 Steel Disc Front; 22.5 X 8.25 Steel Disc Rear ? Tires - Michelin 315/80R22.5 L XZY-1 Front; 11R22.5 G XZY-2 Rear
Reply to
Stephen M. Henning