Ford selling Volvo?

I read this morning that BMW is in talks with Ford to buy Volvo. Both Ford and BMW had no comment.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Ford is looking to sell of all it's European makes to generate some cash. It is in bad trouble. It stopped making its cash cow the Taurus and introduced the Five Hundred which was still born beside the fact it was a good car. Now they are rebadging the Five Hundred as the Taurus. Detroit is in the business of selling images, not vehicles.

By the way,according to the labels on the car doors that list "percent of parts made in the US, the most American "cars" are:

  1. Ford F-150* Dearborn, Mich.; Kansas City, Mo.; Norfolk, Va. 1
  2. Toyota Camry**, Camry Solara Georgetown, Ky. 3
  3. Chevrolet Silverado 1500* Fort Wayne, Ind.; Pontiac, Mich. 2
  4. Chevrolet Cobalt Lordstown, Ohio 5
  5. Ford Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac Louisville, Ky.; St. Louis 6
  6. Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx Kansas City, Kan. 7
  7. Chevrolet TrailBlazer* Moraine, Ohio 10
  8. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 9
  9. Pontiac G6 Orion, Mich. --
10.Ford Escape** Kansas City, Mo. 8

*Rankings based on estimated sales breakouts and/or production data; TrailBlazer excludes discontinued TrailBlazer EXT.

**Excludes hybrid.

However, this does not distinguish between US and Canadian content.

Here are some makes that are NOT considered "American Made"

# Chevrolet Equinox # Chevrolet HHR # Chevrolet Impala # Chevrolet Tahoe # Chrysler 300 # Chrysler PT Cruiser # Dodge Charger # Ford Focus # Ford Fusion # Ford Mustang

Reply to
Stephen Henning

"Stephen Henning" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news.isp.giganews.com...

I have got the impression, that selling images is what is the main business of every big company nowadays. Product quality and customer satisfaction are definitely secondary or tertiary issues.

Viktor

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

I sincerely hope not - look what happened to Rover when BMW bought it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

OTOH, there could be RWD Volvos again. ;) 8-]

Reply to
Sakari Ailus

What happened to it? Could the build quality really have gotten much worse?

Reply to
James Sweet

Well they didn't produce any RWD Rovers during their ownership!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Here is more on this:

Built at the Ingersoll plant in Ontario, Canada, the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox could be the most un-American ³American² car on the road. Consider that, in addition to its assembly north of the border, the Equinox has a China-built V6 engine.

GM says that the 2006 Chevrolet HHR was inspired by the 1949 Suburban. We wonder whether they built that SUV in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico as well.

The much-improved Impala, with more room and comfortable seats plus an attractive style is Canadian.

The Tahoe debuted early this year to brisk sales, and may even find itself as a serious contender for Truck of the Year. That¹s the good news, along with the fact that it¹s built in Arlington, Texas and Janesville, Wisconsin. Ah but the things they put inside, only 67 percent come from US-based suppliers.

The Chrysler 300, only the most well-received new sedan Chrysler has put out in years from critics and consumers alike is about as American as a Moose. Built in Brampton, Ontario, the 300 also gets just 72 percent of its parts from US suppliers.

Built in Toluca, Mexico, the PT Cruiser was updated in 2006.

Like its brother, the Chrysler 300, the Dodge Charger is itself a big buff Canadian that borrows its legacy from an American icon.

Built in the US but made of only 60 percent American parts, the Focus could be considered at least ³near American.²

As the flag-waver for Ford¹s newest rallying cry, ³Red, White and Bold,² it¹s interesting that the 2006 Ford Fusion is more a hue of green, white and red, signifying its Mexican birthplace. Or maybe it¹s more red and white, symbolizing its Mazda/Japanese roots.

According to the Act, cars must be made of 75 percent US parts, and the Mustang registers at a paltry 65 percent, Canada included. At least it¹s still assembled in Michigan.

Consider, though, that if you want to buy a more American car than the Mustang the Mustang -- try the Camry, the Accord, the Avalon, the Corolla

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Oh I do hope so. Perhaps somebody will make progressive Volvos instead of ridiculous pastiches with most of the old values sapped out.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

I wont drive german cars so if this is true thats the end of my love affair with Volvos, except those built previous to any possible takeover . Just as a matter of interest would a volvo bmw have no indicators as it seems bmw indicators dont seem to work ever ?

Reply to
John Robertson

What a strange idea.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Dunno - but hopefully they'd have no daytime running lights!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Is a car that is designed in Sweden and built in Sweden and Belgium, with Japanese transmissions, German. I don't think so. I don't think the present Volvo is American either. Ford's only contribution was adding the V-8 engines which I avoid like the plague.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

In my fantasy world a Swedish industrialist would buy Saab and Volvo and turn them into great companies with a strong Scandinavian viewpoint. Not going to happen, but would be nice.

Reply to
John Horner

Steve, what is wrong with the Yamaha V8 ? I have never read anything bad about the engine, apart from the fuel consumption, Rob

"Stephen Henn>

Reply to
volvo480

Too bad you feel as you do about the V8. We have one (XC90) and it's incredible --- great power, very reliable, and decent gas mileage (24MPG highway, which is better than the 3.2 6cyl XC90 that we drove --- the V8 prob doesn't have to work as hard). My understanding was that the V8 was not made in US but in China or Japan or some such. At any rate, we love it and would buy another. 'Bout time Volvo did a V8.

Reply to
mdrawson

Made in Japan by Yamaha. It is a further development of the engine design Yamaha used to build for the Ford Taurus SHO.

John Horner

I hope BMW will suceed :-)

Reply to
Vanja

BMW would be a far better owner for Volvo than Ford is, I think. But one must wonder what exactly BMW wants with Volvo? Perhaps as it's FWD/AWD brand? Would we see Volvos being made in the US BMW plant?

I wonder if BMW would pay Ford as much for Volvo as Ford paid BMW for Land Rover a few years back.

Strange times indeed.

CNN just ran a story on this as well:

John Horner

I understand the 5 cylinder FWD engine is a BMW design, at Volvo request.

joe

Reply to
Joe