Ford selling Volvo?

No, it isn't. The modular engines (6, 5, 4 cyl.) were designed at Porche's Weissbach design facility, as per Volvo's needs.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

QED

Very inefficient.

Volvo engines have a long reputation of efficiency and durability.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

And then they'd crank out updated 240's....

Reply to
blurp

There is a new Volvo on sale in the UK, called C30. It looks very like what we know as the Ford Fiesta. Anyone know anything about it?

Reply to
Mike Lindsay

It is a "near-luxury" hatchback/coupe and is coming to the US in October as a 2008 model.

A hybrid version is in the works. It shares the platform of the Volvo S40/V50/C70. The term platform is very vague. This C1 platform is designed for either front- or all wheel drive. The C1 platform was designed in Cologne, Germany as the "C Technologies Program". Thirty engineers each from Mazda, Ford, and Volvo worked to combine the compact car engineering from all three automakers. This is especially beneficial as each manufacturer involved assisted in certain areas that they are well known for, Volvo with safety, Mazda with handling, and Ford with cost cutting.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I hope not. I owned 5 240's and 3 850/V70's and the 240 is a giant step backward in safety, economy, power, reliability, longevity, luxury, and roadability. Other than that it was not too bad. Volvo could never bring it back because it doesn't come close to meeting their present safety standards. Maybe a retro on a modern platform, but not the real thing. NEVER. But then they should go back to the 444/544/Amazon for a retro, not the 240.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

While it'll never happen, many of us, myself included like the 240, it's fine if you think it's a step backwards but the fact remains that it's still a very safe car, even compared to much of what's out there now. It's comfortable, dependable, simple, easy to work on, parts are plentiful, and it has that classic Volvo styling. I've often compared the 240 to the DC-3 aircraft, much more advanced vehicles have been produced in the meantime, many are improvements in many aspects, but IMO there has never truly been a replacement for the durable, versatile, economical, and iconic workhorse that the 240 is. There's a good reason many thousands of 240s are still on the road well over a decade after the last one rolled off the assembly line.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well said, James.

Reply to
blurp

I just sold my 95 940 wagon that was not even pulling 24mpg, unless on a highway. And it wasn't even a turbo. Where was the efficiency in that? and it was so underpowered that it was literally painful to drive. Between that and a new 90 series that has the same mpg I'll pick the last one even if it has twice the cylinders (all other things being equal, of course). Now, I'm not complaining about its reliability, that was great. No, I'm not bashing Volvo, I am a big fan and I still own an S70 but that 940 was painful to drive, plain and simple AND getting a horrible MPG. That combined with a lack of manual transmission in the late yrs of 940's have lost me as a fan of the series. Now I'm looking for a manual 850 or S70 that are very difficult to find.

Reply to
sorint

And it's come home to roost. Image eventually matches reality. There aren't any teenage boys anywhere bugging their fathers to buy an Impala anymore.

Everything I ever read about that was the Porsche's contract engineering unit helped Volvo with the design, not BMW. Few people realize that Porsche has a huge contract engineering group.

Reply to
John Horner

In article , Stephen Henning writes

Thanks for that informative answer.

Not sure if I like the idea of 30 engineers from different countries all with a finger in the pie. Someone described a camel as a horse designed by a committee.

Reply to
Mike Lindsay

A bit unfair on camels which are eminently suitable for their environment.

Reply to
Richard Polhill