Front main seal replacement - 84 240GLE

The front main has gone in the beast. Haemorrhaging badly.....

I have ordered the front main seal, as well as the two other seals and a new timing belt as I am not sure when it was replaced last. This doesn't seem to have the flame trap like my earlier 79 245. Is there anything else I should consider whilst I have it apart besides a good flush and new coolant?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
PM

Hi Paul, You may want to consider changing out the water pump too, while you're in there. I know the old saying, if it ain't broke..don't fix it, but my experience was that I changed my water pump and checked my timing belt and tensioner, then drove the car for weeks, only to discover an oil leak at the cam seal....so had to go back in to change out all the seals. So my new saying is(on cars with an unknown history), if in doubt, swap it out. It's the old, measure twice, cut once theory. It's an easy area to work on, but why do double the work! Just my $.02. Good luck.

Reply to
mw156