front Tires that disapear like melting ice on a '96 850 T5

I'm on a bit of a budget and need to replace my front set on my 850 T5. Here in the UK I was enthusiasistically recommended by a mechanic, a brand of tyre called "Kuhmo". They are apparently made in Korea, and are a good blend of sporty grip and hard and long wearing, they are even Z rated(up to

150 mph) and have directional tread that looks sporty, which should be nice as my old ones are Avons and they look really great. Anyway, all this for 65 pounds sterling per tyre. Should I go for it, or put them on the back and move my Avons from the back forward as they are still pretty good.
Reply to
barry

Unsure about the higher end tires made by Kumho's, but there Touring tires are not good at all - I blame a car accident on my old Kumho tires (no one was hurt, the car just slid into a curb while trying to veer away from a car that entered into my lane).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

On a front-wheel-drive car, with both the steering and the power in front, don't you always want the best tyres on the front wheels??

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Reply to
John Robertson

I've got 185/60 r14 H Kumho and had them replaced yesterday. 7000 miles is all that i had out of them. I've gone for AVON a3 - i think they are. Directional, with a very good looking tread pattern (if that is one of your buying points)

If your thiking of getting rid of your car, then pop the Kuhmo's on them. Otherwise i would suggest finding an alternative. hope this helps ant

Reply to
Anthony Hogarth

you could try

they give lots of different options. *note - not purchased from this company

cheers ant

Reply to
Anthony Hogarth

Do you mean the Avon ZZ3 ?

Autocar - January 2003 Comparative Strengths - Coast-by noise, wet handling Comparative Weaknesses - Aquaplaning, Rolling Resistance, Dry Handling

Look nice, not sure about the safety aspects with aquaplaning noted in the review.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener

Yes, that's them. I'm pleased with them. And will see if I get some decent mileage out of them. I was wanting some Goodyears but budget wouldn't strectch.

Good luck selecting tyres, ant

Reply to
Anthony Hogarth

If you're only replacing 2 tires, I would put new ones on the rear. A lot of shops won't put old tires on the rear of a FWD car since it could cause poor handling. With a lot of the weight up front, the rear tires need the grip when braking or cornering. I think Kuhmos are OK, but may have not as strong sidewalls as other tires. For more owner survey info, check out

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Check the price of the new Dunlop SP 300E - a very nice V rated tyre. I put some of these on my wife's car recently and they were AU$170 (about

65 pounds) each. They were a lot cheaper than the Dunlop Eagle Venturas I have on my V70 (about 90 pounds each, but great tyres). Of course, relative cost of living in the UK may be such that these tyres are more expensive in your market.

Kuhmo are a popular tyre in Australia (Korea's not all that far away) but they are intended for the taxi/budget market. They have a reputation for producing long-lasting but fairly dull tyres for cheap cars. Most of their imports here seem to be cheap, and not for the sports end of the market (maybe you get a better range).

Chris

barry wrote:

Reply to
Half a Bee

D'oh !

Of course, I meant GOODYEAR.

Reply to
Half a Bee

A manual T5 is it?! Aboout 8000miles on a pair??! Thought so.

The kuhmo's are a good budget tyre, but like most are pretty soft rubber so wear will be rapid, although grip will be good. I wouldnt think you'll get any more than 8kout of them mind, the T5 is a heavy FWD car with plenty of power.

Personnaly I run Pirelli P6000's on our S70 which are fairly hard, yet very grippy, wear well considering the weight of the car and the power they transmit. At 75-80quid per corner I feel they are excellant for the money.

I am careful not to apply too much power around corners and when pulling away and am getting about 16,000-18,000 miles from them, but I do rotate the tyres front to back at every oil change at 5000mile intervals and run them at a higher than book 32-33psi which helps enourmously.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.