FS - 1983 Volvo 240 Turbo (located in Canada)

$2400 CAD as is (little if anything needed to safety - and due to the age of the car, it no longer needs the e-test ... but it DID pass 2 years ago)

240,000 KMS (not miles! - low mileage!!)

This car is in SOLID codition.

Beautiful condition interior and exterior.

EVERYTHING works!

- Automatic transmission - Turbo (redone at 180K kms ... tons of life left!!) (FYI - a turbo generally will give you 150K *miles* before it needs an overhaul, so this one is just an infant) - Air conditioning - Power windows, power mirrors, pw doorlocks - New battery - New exhaust - Excellent rubber on tires (Michelin Arctic Track) - Sunroof - New JVC (CD/MP3) stereo. - Completely restored body 3.5 years ago ... absolutely beautiful. - Complete service history (all Volvo mechanics) - I am the 2nd owner (had this for 5-6 years) - non-smoker

And just think - only 3 more years and it'll be an official 'Antique'!

Located in Brockville, Ontario Canada.

Email Allan Shearer at: allanATshearerDOTca

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Everyone - I'm not sure whether it's OK to post 'For Sale' postings in this newsgroup, but I figured if someone in the Upper State New York area was looking for a couple of good Volvos, or even to buy these for parts ... I should at least let ya'll know.

We live just across the U.S./Canada border. Don't know how tough it is to import/export a used car from Canada. You'd have to do your homework on that first.

Thanks

Allan

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Actually this is the ad I was emailing you about some weeks ago, wanted info and if you can get any underbody shots of the car and a little more pictures of under hood?

Thanks,

Dan PS I may have not removed the "REMOVE" fom your email address!

Reply to
Danil

'some weeks ago' ...?

Sorry Dan, but I got a single email from you on March 19th, 6:41am asking for underbody and engine photos ... to which I replied (to: " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com") the same day at 8:45pm. Please check your inbox.

FWIW ... I'm not about to crawl under my car to take photos of the underbody. I feel the photos I've taken are more than adequate.

Allan

... and Danil spake, say>

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Small world. Our very first Volvo was also a 1983 240 Turbo purchased

6 years ago.

Is this the post-deer Volvo mentioned elsewhere in this group? Mine has 325000 kms and is supposed to be getting body work this spring. When you had the turbo redone did you opt for the water-cooled variety or is it still the oil-cooled turbo? Did you replace any suspension components or are they original?

Thanks, blurp

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:39:44 -0500, the illustrious Allan Shearer favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Yup, this is the same one that hit the deer. I still have my 'before/after' polaroids around somewhere - which I needed for the Insurance company. I was pickin' deer fur outa the hood-cloth for months! ;)

I now always say under my breath when a cyclist or pedestrian unwittingly steps out in front of me, "Don't do it! I've taken out BIGGER without a scratch!" ;)

As for the turbo ... you know, I recall a discussion at the time about water vs. oil . . . but I cannot remember which this has. It didn't change, though. Whatever the stock turbo is in this model, is what it has. And no other modifications to the suspension ... all stock stuff ... and nice and *firm* for the Turbo/high-speed (heh heh), etc...

Interestingly ... my brother once had a Cadillac STS and it had to get some work done over a period of a week. I lent him my 240 for that week and we was totally blown-away! He was expecting it to sound and feel like an old clunker ... but it's so well kept and the ride is so tight (cornering, etc...) ... he just couldn't believe it. OK, ok - maybe not AS peppy as his STS - but it still surprised him. He suddenly realized why I love it so!

I just LOVE the sound it makes as it 'whirs' up. I tell ya ... I'm gonna miss this car. We're only selling it because we don't have the room to park it. If we had a 2-car garage it would be staying in the family (sniffle).

Allan

... and blurp spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Stock is oil cooled, replacements are almost always oil + water cooled, there's no reason to do otherwise unless you *really* need to do it cheap and don't care if the turbo life is halved.

Reply to
James Sweet

Having the exact same car I can honestly say "I know what you mean" when you talk about the thrill of the 240 turbo. Unfortunately i live in the city (Toronto) and don't even have a driveway, I rely on street parking. That's why I picked up an old 760 when the opportunity arose and sent the 240 away for body work...I'll have to store it over the winter to protect it from the salt trucks that drive down my street and fling their corrosive payload hither and thither.

I don't know exactly where I would store a third volvo but I'm working on it!

As forthe turbo it was probably a rebuild (as I had done with mine) so it'll still be oil cooled. The water-cooled setup (at the time I was calling around) meant throwing $1400 at the issue (roughly double the cost of a rebuild and install).

Cheers! blurp ps. if I find $2400 and a garage I'll come running!

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:28:00 -0500, the illustrious Allan Shearer favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Hi'ya Blurp

This all rings a bell ... and now I can say with much more confidence that it IS oil-cooled. I remember the discussion with my Volvo mechanic who was explaining to me the advantages of oil vs. water (but to be honest, I wouldn't have been able to recall WHICH was better ... although, it seems to make sense that oil would be better since it would have a lower boiling point). Indeed, my turbo was 're-built' or refurbished. He kept my car the whole time (well, it had a LOT more work to be done on it!) while the turbo was sent off to Montreal for the re-build. I was told it would be 'like new' ... and sure enough, it's 'whirrin' like a kitten (... that's the sound when you swing a cat over your head, I guess).

I even have a 2nd Turbo gauge somewhere in my parts bin. The one on my car is the original, but my mechanic says that the needle is resting (home position) a little off the mark. Of course, this means nothing - other than esthetics ... but the 2nd Turbo gauge is supposed to line-up properly ... I've just never installed it (I know, I know ... a 2-second job, I'm sure!).

Well . . . if your 240 comes out nicer than mine, you could always swap out the 760 and have 2x 240's ... a 'winter' one and a 'summer' one. heh heh :)

Yours,

Allan

... and blurp spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

A little more info is needed here for this to make sense. Oil cooled turbos are just that, they rely solely on the lubricating oil to cool them. "water cooled" turbos are an oil cooled turbo with an *additional* cooling jacket which circulates water/antifreeze through the engine's cooling system. You still need the oil for lubrication, the water jacket just drastically reduces the operating temperature of the turbo bearing housing virtually eliminating oil coking. I have an oil cooled turbo on my 240 because the previous owner had it done and it's scary to see that thing glowing orange hot. It may cost twice as much, but it will literally last twice (or more) as long in most cases so as I said before, given the choice it's more economical to go with water cooled if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Reply to
James Sweet

This car has been SOLD. Thanks for all the interest.

Reply to
Allan Shearer