Fuel Pump fuse

My 83 GL is occasionally blowing the no#7 fuse.It is hot to the touch sometimes.Could it be the relay or ECU?Thanx snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Mr. RA Bennett

I think we can rule out the ECU - it would have failed altogether if it is blowing the fuel pump fuse.

I am thinking of a bad fuse socket. Is your '83 fuse one of those pi-shaped fuses with the prongs coming out the side? If so, I'd look carefully at the socket. If it shows signs of heat that's probably the problem. Since the contacts are the problem, using a larger fuse would not help anyway.

I've pulled the fuse holder out and moved wires to another socket for the AC blower fuse in my '85 765T. It is a medium sized job but was easier than any of the obvious alternatives.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My experience has been if the small pump in the tank goes the large pump works harder drawing too much current so the fuse holder heat up and the fuse blows . Check to see if your tank pump is working .If not that's most likely the problem

Reply to
John Robertson