Fuel saving devices - do they do ANYTHING?

I think that we'd probably have more of a success building the atmospherica fat extracting machine that George did a skit on years sgo. This is the one that works on the premise "when people lose fat, where does it go? Into the atmosphere!"

A little refining of the basic design and we convert everything to run on diesel with a little AFEM on the carburator, and we've solved the world's reliance on gasoline.

Reply to
byrocat

----------snipped from cnn this am------------------------

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Pennsylvania ranks first among the top ten worst states for vehicle-deer collisions, according to an insurance survey published Thursday.

Citing claim statistics, auto insurer State Farm said that drivers in Pennsylvania experienced more deer collisions than any other state between July 1, 2004 and June 30, 2005.

State Farm estimates that 1.5 million vehicles collide with deer every year, resulting in 150 motorists deaths and $1.1 billion in vehicle damages.

With deer migrating and mating season occurring between October and December, the auto insurer says a higher number of deer are near roads this time of year.

Coming in second and third were Michigan and Illinois, followed by Ohio and Georgia. Minnesota and Virginia ranked sixth and seventh respectively, while Indiana, Texas and Wisconsin rounded out the list at eighth, ninth and tenth.

The insurance company said it based its rankings on the total number of deer-accident claims filed with State Farm and did not adjust for population.

The auto insurer says that attentive driving is still the best deterrent for such accidents.

In order to avoid such collisions, State Farm says drivers should use their high-beam headlights as much as possible to illuminate deer hiding on the side of the road and to not rely on car-mounted 'deer whistles,' which studies show not to affect the animal.

If a collision with a deer is unavoidable, according to the company, it is best not to swerve, which could increase the risk of injury and could cause you to lose control of your car.

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

There are a number of motorcycle clubs in the Northeast who are (were?) purchasing hunting licenses and ammo for hunters who cannot afford it in an attempt to lower these statistics as well (it was to hunt the deer- not the drivers)..

I read somewhere that there are more deer living in the US now than there were during the Revolutionary War.

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

i live in colorado, but took a drive back to boston a few years ago....when i went through pen & that area...i was taken back by all the deer i saw along the highway...both dead and standing there l@@kin at the cars whizzin by...i saw a lot more than i see along the colorado and wy roads.....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

With the decline in farming in the Northeast US, because of geography, there area taken by woods has grown, and the deer population with it. Where I live, in Westchester County, NY, hunting is not allowed in most places because of the danger to people who live there. During the winter, deer survive by eating garden shrubs.

Reply to
Marvin

Reply to
John Robertson

Where does optimax come from... I live in Perth, maybe it's one we don't have? I found mine runs a bit "nicer" on shell super, but still no really measurable advantage in power or economy.

Reply to
jg

It's from Shell. Here in the UK Optimax is Shell's unleaded premium brand so if you're using Shell Super then I suppose that must be the same thing.

Reply to
Sam Smith

Our shell garages have unleaded, premium (I think) unleaded and super, which has some sort of lead substitute. I believe it will be discontinued before too long, in fact not all of them carry it now.

Reply to
jg

We've been running our Ovlov on 10% EtOH blend here (Aus) and have gotten marked improvement on fuel consumption. Though, to put in perspective, the ethanol blend is a 98 octane fuel, so I would be surprised if it did SFA.

Cheers

Hammo

On 30/11/05 12:22 AM, in reference to dmhkmf$g3t$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk, going by the name of "Sam Smith" wrote the following:

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

Oops, very sorry. I'm naming the choices at our BP garages. I always hoped I wouldn't be as stupid when I got older...

Reply to
jg

JG

I read somewhere that for some reason you don't get Optimax in WA (or SA, NT and Tas). - think it was the Shell Website - Have a look. From memory, Premium Unleaded was the best they offered - 95 Octane. Here in Melb. they have just released Optimax plus which is 100 Octane. It contains 5% ethanol and of course is a bit more than regular 98 Optimax. Will try it and see if it makes any difference.

John

jg wrote:

JG

Reply to
John Smith

Ah, you missed the bit where I admitted my stupidity at naming PB choices instead of Shell. Years ago I arrrived at the theory that Shell fuel formed carbon deposits in motors, specially those already prone. A couple of mechanics agreed and I have avoided it ever since. Times and motors have changed but I still have a distrust of shell fuel. Their oil is good though.

Reply to
jg

Reply to
John Robertson