Gas fumes

Hi, I had an unusual problem with my 240 wagon the other day. I started to smell gas fumes inside the car while driving. There were no apparent leaks anywhere that I could tell, so I was going to check the o-ring seal at the in-tank pump, thinking maybe it was bad or something. Well, before I got to that, I stopped to fuel up and when I went to take the gas cap off, it just came right off, clearly it had not been on right. I guess I must have been distracted when replacing it. So it occurred to me that this could be the problem, and apparently it was, because after closing the cap(clicking it a couple times as I usually do), and then driving off for a few miles, no more fumes. I guess this is a closed, sealed fuel system in order to work properly. A friend of mine said he had heard that, on newer cars, if you don't close the gas cap tight it could cause the service engine light to come on. I had never heard of that before.

Reply to
mw156

If you leave the cap loose the light comes on the dash and may continue even when you tighten the cap up so disconnect the battery for a while reconnect and it will be back to normal ..

Reply to
John Robertson