Gas lid won't open? Help!

I was working on my Wife's 1999 S70 today hoping to figure out why the frickin' check engine light is still on...

On the way home, I decided to stop and put some gas into it... I couldn't because the gas door release switch is not working.

This is very annoying as it basically makes the car useless.

Is this a common issue that has been mentioned here before, and if so what's the fix?

I noticed the trunk release which is on the same connector as the gas lid release doesn't work either? Is there a particular fuse I might look at?

Thanks for any help or ideas with this. I will force it if need be (hope not).

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Yes.

Google is your friend.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

I don't know if you found out yet or not, but I think the S70 is the same as the 850 here:

Open the trunk, and open the "hatch" covering the passenger's side taillights. There should be silver ring visible, parallel to the side of the car. Pull on this, and it should release the pin that locks the door shut.

Hope this helps, drew

Reply to
volvo240drew

Did you check the fuses? It might be on the same line as some other accessory.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Steve E.

Thanks for the idea, but this car doesn't seem to have that great feature...

Other ideas?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Not helpful. I googled before I asked.

I don't see any help for my issue, other then the suggestion that there is a manual release ring that can be pulled, which there isn't in this case.

So I am left with no good options, but forcing the gas caps lid open?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I did, they all look ok.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I just retrieved the nanual for my '01 c70 convertible (us). p.99 states; "The fuel filler door can be opened manually by removing the cover over the rt tail light housing and pulling the cord until the fuel filler door pops open." The cord appears to have a tag showing a hand and a station emblem. Don't give up yet.

Reply to
Steve E.

remove the panel closest to the fuel filler. Most 'good' cars have a brightly colored handle on a wire that manually opens the door. On my XC 70 there is a puller that looks like scrap that they provide to pull on, but for all the money that we pay for a new Volvo, the provide us with squat. It's inside of the panel or in your case probably buried behind the wheel well inside of the trunk.

Reply to
Administrator

No, actually there is no such thing on this car (1999 S70). I removed the panel (right rear trunk lining) entirely, and can see nothing to help open the gas cap.

I did however discover that the problem is SOMEHOW connected to the power lock system? I was troubleshooting and decided to test all the other accessories on the door. When I actuate the power locks I heard a click beneath the dash and the locks worked AOK. I then tried the gas cap release and it WORKED also. The same click from the dash is heard when the gas cap triggers.

I have lots of experience with electronics and feel comfortable saying the problem is NOT the switch.

Is there some kind of under dash relay for powering the power door locks AND other power accessories like the power gas cap?

Thanks again for any ideas and or help on this.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Have you tried aplying pressure on the tank lid, while someone is pushing the switch. I was just thinking that maybe if the fuel tank cap was not properly set and giving pressure on the lid and therefore is blocking the lock. A loose tank cap could give check engine light!

Regards

Per Hauge

"Martin Joseph" skrev i en meddelelse news:2006021200390143658-mercedes@SPAMNOTbarknaturalpetcom...

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

Thanks, but no, it's not a wedged lid, it's an electrical issue of some sort.

Thanks again, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

"Martin Joseph" skrev i en meddelelse news:2006021311413316807-mercedes@SPAMNOTbarknaturalpetcom...

Hi Marty.

I have tried to mail you directly, and haved enclosed some wiring diagrams. Let me know if you don't get the mail.

Regards Per Hauge

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

I've personally used the pull release in a '96 850. So at least the 854 GLT sedan definitely has one.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

Had the same issue on my old '96 850. That didn't have any kind of pull release either. I simply removed the cover panel on the right hand side of the trunk and removed the actuator. It is a small cylindrical device with a pin that motor driven to catch a hole in a tab on the door. Two small screws are all that holds it in. Once that is out you simply have a non-locking gas door.

Never got around to replacing it as my wife totalled the car a couple of weeks later :( Fortunately she was OK.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Dave