Gas mileage - Volvo 850

Hi,

What gas mileage do you get out of your Volvo 850's (non-turbo)? I'm currently getting the following mileage in a combination of highway and city driving and I'm thinking it's exceptionally high:

14.6L / 100km 16mpg (US gallons) 19.3mpg (Europe)

Regards,

Han.

Reply to
han_chung

(1) "No one ever bought a Volvo for the fuel economy."

(2) Having made reference to that old slogan, I would add, however, that your numbers do look exceptionally bad. My '95 850T with automatic transmission averages around 10L/100km, using 98e and with maybe 1/4 of the driving in town and 3/4 on the motorway.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Henry: I would have agreed with your point (1), but lately I've been looking at mileage figures in road test summaries and my 850GLT seems to do better than the vast majority of new cars.

Han: I agree with Henry's point (2). Your mileage looks pretty bad. My '97 850GLT has averaged about 23.7 mpg (U.S.) during the time I've owned it. On the highway it gets maybe 29 mpg at 60 mph and

27 mpg at 70 mph (or maybe a little better). My overall average would be better if I always cruised at a leisurely 55 or 60 mph. You could have an oxygen sensor going bad or something similar.
Reply to
L David Matheny

That's terrible, people I've talked to are getting roughly double that.

Reply to
James Sweet
1996 850 Wagon, Non-trubo, automatic, at about 24mpg. The milage on my car is 92K. 70% is highway milage.

-cji

han snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
chunji08

Not good. My 1995 854 Turbo automatic ranges from 8.0 l/100 km (29 Mi./US gallon) in all highway driving at ~ 60 mph to 13.3 l/100 km (17.6 mi/US gallon) in all city, bad weather commuting stop and go.

Rick

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

I would have to agree with the previous post. The 23-34 US MPG average I got over the last several years is better than many new cars.

Henry, do you get any system diagnostic indicators? Perhaps you should see someone with an OBD II scanner and they can see what's going on. An oxygen sensor would be a good guess.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Oops. Make that 23-24, not 34.

Chuck Fiedler Again

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

I have a 94 850 non-turbo and have been getting the same mileage as you BUT I have a bad O2 sensor ...I recently had my inectors cleaned and the O2 (greek lamda symbol) came on...I am told that replacing the O2 sensor will improve mileage...check for aftermarket prices the OEM prices are 300+!

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I usually get just about 30 mpg (U.S.) with my '96 5spd plain simple non-turbo Volvo 850 wagon. That is if I drive around 65..if I go 70 then it drop to about 28 mpg.

The city driving I do is really bad..., short trips, lots of lights, many hills, but I still get around 18-24 mpg

Reply to
Atif

We have 2 850s and they get 25 MPG for normal driving in our community where most everything is 10 to 20 miles away. For continuous highway driving we get 29 to 31 MPG with the cruise control on.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

When my wife drives on the local roads she gets around 16-18. I manage a bit better and on the highway i have had over 25 MPG...

Drive smooth, accelarate slowly, drive ahead, take you foot off the gas well before traffic or a yellow light...

Reply to
Steve
9.5 l/100km 1996 850 2,5l 10valve 144hp 9,0 l/100km 2000 V70 2,4l 20valve 170hp Regards Ken Hello han snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com,

Reply to
Administrator

'95 850 wagon with 122,000 miles:

27-28 mpg, but I really BABY it, mostly freeway & usually between 50-60 mph - yes, that's me way over in the right hand lane always doing the speed limit. J.
Reply to
Jay Epstein

My manual 850 routinely turned in low 20s in local driving and low 30s on freeway trips. All US mpg numbers.

16 mpg US sounds very low.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Agree. Another data point -- with gas prices hitting the roof here, I decided to drive my 854T more gently to reduce my gas bills. For the past 2 months I've averaged 21 mpg (US) in the city and 29 mpg on an all-highway trip.

That's 11.2 l/100 km and 8.1 l/100 km.

Rick

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)