gear shifter cover installation for '92 240...help!

The cover for the shifter,gear shift,stick shift...or what ever you call it cracked and I bought a new one. How to install the new one? There is a small screw on the left side of the shifter that will loosen and allow the shift know to "move" a little. But I am hesitant about pulling too much on the knob to remove it from the stick. Does it require a lot of force to remove or is that the correct way to install the new cover which fits into a slot and has one or two screws to attach to the floorboard. Thanks for any step-by-step directions! JB

Reply to
JB