glass beads fell out of head into cylinders!!!

Well I got my cylinder head back from the machine shop on friday, and went to put in on top of the block, but never actually set it on the block, just kinda hovered it over it. Then decided I needed to do a coupla things first, so I took the head away from the engine, and what do I see?? The flapping head dumped some glass beads down my two of my cylinders! I got most of them out with a rag with oil on it, but????

What precautions should I take, if any? Everything is together so the chances of any beads getting into bearings is small, but how small? Should I take the head back to the machine shop and have them clean it again? Am I paranoid? Do I need to take all the pistons back out, or will that just double the chances of a bead getting on a bearing surface?

I actually haven't plastigaged the rod bearings yet, so it wouldn't be a HUGE hassle.....

it makes no difference, but this is on a 1990 240 dl wagon

thanks!

Reply to
lolo

I'd blow out the cylinders and the head completely with compressed air and call it good.

Reply to
zencraps

I suggest using a shop vacuum of some kind; if need be, tape a piece of smaller tubing (fuel line, etc.) to improve pickup. Cut the tip into a wedge in order to get closer to the sides.

Then, vacuum out every passage in the head you can get that tube into while tapping it with a wood or plastic mallet to try and get as much out as you can. Using a bottle brush probably wouldn't hurt. Finish up by blowing it out with compressed air.

I'd worry about any that were in oil passages. Residual beads in the cylinder or intake/exhaust passages will probably blow through without causing any problems. I doubt they're big enough to cause a problem in the cooling system.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Glass beads in the head??? How big are the beads.

Did the beads fall just into the cylinder bore or into oil and coolant passages too.

Finally, the rest of the story. Since the engine apparently isn't assembled just carefully push the pistons out and catch any beads with a rag.

Reply to
hjsjms

I assume they are residue from bead blasting, which would make them the size of blasting sand, but rounded.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee