Gotta replace brake rotors and pads at the same time (99 V70 AWD)?

Getting this message from Wheelworks technician, claims "manufacturer requirement". There is nothing wrong with the rotors. Car has something like 70k miles on it.

Wouldn't surprise me, seems like I have to get a new engine every time I fill up the gas tank!

But just wanted to double check, I don't have a lot of confidence in what car repair places tell me.

Thx!

Reply to
Larry

There is no such requirement that I am aware of! When replacing the pads, the discs (rotors, if you insist!) need to be checked to make sure that they are within spec with regard to:

  • minimum remaining thickness
  • runout
  • absence of serious scoring

Provided they are ok, there's no reason to replace them.

My 1999 V70 (UK) still has the original discs but is on its second set of pads.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ask them to see the "manufacturer's requirement" in writing.

bf

Reply to
bfiske

You are having your brake work done at a chain store ... bad idea all around. Go to someone who works on Volvos all the time, either independent or dealer.

Reply to
John Horner

Do you actually know whether the rotors are worn down past the minimum thickness?

Why don't you find a better repair place.

Reply to
Roadie