Grabbiness is gone: New Front Rotors on my 945TG

Over the past year I noticed the front brakes on my 945TG grabbing more than in the past, making the front dip noticeably. I noticed they were quite worn (about 1/8" trench on both sides of each rotor) so replaced them with new rotors.

What a difference it made! Braking seems smoother and most importantly the "grabbiness" is gone and braking seems a bit more controlled.

So ~160K miles is not bad for the original rotors, although next time I think I'll replace them a bit sooner since they were getting quite thin. No real problems with the job - it took ~45 mins, including cleaning off the hubs and ABS sensor areas.

Following suggestions found online, I lightly tapped the caliper bolts a few times with a small hammer beforehand and, althought tight, they can out relatively easily. When reassembing it all, I used new caliper bolts, and put a _very_ thin coat of brake grease on the inner part of the rotor where it contacts the hub, to prevent rust and make getting it off easier next time.

NCMan

Reply to
NCMan

Glad to hear your rotors have lasted that long... We've got 165K Kms on our original rotors on our 1993 960... and they're doing fine, none of the grabiness you experience (tho you had many MANY extra kilometers on yours)... and least for now.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

In general I change the front pads every spring, and the rears every other spring on all of our vehicles, in addition to new coolant, tranny fluids, diff fluids, etc. The brake pads usually have a bit of brake material remaninig on them and could last longer, but pads are cheap, and I like tinkering.

I also never have disk rotors turned, they either work as is or get replaced.

Interestingly, the original caliper dust boots are still pliable and not cracked.

NCMan

Reply to
NCMan

"Interestingly, the original caliper dust boots are still pliable and not cracked."

Volvo OEM part quality!... We've never had a mechanical problem with the calipers either, a seal in the rear caliper did leak 2 years ago tho... Other then that nadda. The Volvo pads last a very long time, no need to change them every year, really. But if you like tinkering then sure, may as well :-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I replace pads when they start to squeek from the wear indicators, no sense in replacing them sooner unless you know they're about gone and the weather is getting cold.

Reply to
James Sweet