Hard Break Pedal?

My car brake pedal has been feeling "hard" when I press it since Thursday, I would appreciate any advice on what is going on and if it is safe to drive like that as it is a new week so I have to decide if I should take it to a garage or get my breakdown service to check it.

I had this problem before a couple of months ago... the brake pedal felt hard and I took it to my local garage and they said there was an air leak effecting pressure (or something) and they fixed it- I then picked it up and it was fine and then went hard again and even worse my car then started stalling! so I took it back and there was another air leak and they changed it and told me it was safe to drive.

However, the pedal felt firmer than it ever was before (although not hard like when I took it into the garage).

So not happy I called out the breakdown service and they checked it and the guy said that although the pedal was firm it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about - he took the car for a drive and disconnected the vacuum pump (I dont remmeber if that is what it was?) from the brakes to show me the difference. In the end he said that it was fine and the brakes feel different because from when I got the car there was an air leak making the brake pedal softer than it should be.

I have been driving around without any problems like that and even became so used to the firmer pedal that I stopped noticing it! and then on Thursday when braking the the pedal suddenly felt hard again!

I am having no other issues, no stalling, just a hard pedal! I have been driving around since then quite a bit and although the pedal is hard I have no problems with my brakes other than the fact the pedal feels wierd to me as its hard again.

I am no expert (not by any margin) but I find myself unconcerned about my brakes as it simply feels to me like there is a loss of some pressure from the vacuum, like when the RAC (breakdown) guy disconnected the brakes to show me. Maybe that is something I should be concerned about? I don't know that is why I am posting here!

I would appreciate any advice on what to do now? is it safe for me to drive the car like that? should I get it checked out on Monday (today for me as I am in England).

Reply to
Spinstorm

Just forgot to mention its a 98 Volvo S40 with around 160,000 miles. Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

I also forgot to mention that they changed the vacuum hose to the brakes in the garage as I neglected to mention what the garage found air leaks in! so now you know. Thanks again!

Reply to
Spinstorm

I'm totally confused. If you are unconcerned about the operation of an important system like brakes then why are you taking so much time composing a long message. If on the other hand you are concerned about whether the brakes are working then I would take your car to another mechanic for another opinion. Take it to a good Volvo dealership this time.

Reply to
Roadie

I had the RAC over and the guy says there are no problems and everything is fine with the brakes and the brake servo (booster) he says that the ABS may be effecting the feel of the pedal (as my ABS is not working properly as the light is constantly on) but that its safe to drive and there is nothing to worry about. Although he did recommend I take it to a garage to get it checked properly soon he did not seem to think it was an urgent matter.

Which is why I was not that concerned because I was pretty certain that brakes still worked just that the pedal felt harder than normal... anyway any suggestions on what he said would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

Then what was the purpose of the message?

Reply to
Roadie

Seems to be a vacuum leak. Chack all the hoses under the hood (bonnet, I believe, for those on the other side of the pond). You already had one hose replaced, possibly another is going.

Reply to
Dlee

I actually had both hoses replaced before when I had this problem. and the RAC guy checked the pressure and said he couldnt find any leaks.

So do you think that the problem is still a leak or do you think that it maybe something else? Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

If there are no leaks, I would consider replacing the booster/master cylinder assembly. The reason I would do both is if the booster is shot, there is a good chance the master cylinder is near its last legs, so do both at one shot. A little bit more money up front, but you have to do the same work to replace those parts. As to whether it is safe to drive, it all depends upon how strong your legs are. You are basically driving without power brakes. HTH

Reply to
Dlee