Hard Break Pedal And Stalling Engine?

I took my 98 S40 with 160,000 miles (I know its a lot!) into my local garage yesterday as my break pedal went hard when driving.

Volvo (who I took it to first) thought it may be a locked break caliper but the garage checked it over and told me there was an air leak from the vacuum hose and that was causing the pedal to get hard and making the idle on my car drop down to around 500 whenever I slowed down for traffic or lights.

So they changed it and I picked my car up and drove off and the pedal was soft for a few minutes then went hard and then within 15 minutes my revs were dropping to 300-400 RPM and then I started stalling!

I must have stalled 10 times - everytime I slowed down - although when I got on the main road with no traffic the revs seems to be idling at

800ish.

So what is going on? my car was NEVER stalling before they changed the vacuum hose!

and when I have been driving fast for 20 miles it seems to be idleing normally? but if I was sitting in traffic I am sure it would start stalling!

The garage didnt know what it was and said they think there is probably another air leak somewhere causing it!

Does anyone have any ideas what it may be? thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm