'Hard' shifting in '89 240DL

I don't know how to explain it, so here goes.

When I start my car ('89 240dl) and it's in Park (idle), the motor sounds as if I were giving it gas. When shift to Drive, the shift is so strong, that it feels like I'm shifting while I'm driving. For some reason, the engine is running loudly at idle. I think the problem is that the idle speed is to high. How can I lower it without it being so low that the car doesn't start?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

Is this a US spec 240? I'm going to assume so since you haven't said otherwise, which also means that it's fuel injected. A high idle is usually caused by either a vacuum leak or a stuck constant idle speed valve. The former can usually be fixed easily by replacing a cracked or split hose under the hood, the latter you have to take the CIS valve out and clean it out with carb cleaner to get all the gunk out of it. It's also possible something is causing the throttle linkage to bind but this is less common.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not sure if you have the same idle sense (throttle position) switch my '85 765T has, but if that switch is misadjusted or the connector isn't making contact it produces those symptoms.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yes it would have that same switch, I hadn't though of that.

Reply to
James Sweet