head restraints

I have read in a couple different places how to remove the head rests in a

1985 740 GLE. I have removed the rests about 15 years before but can't remember how to locate the release buttons. One book says the buttons are 3.5 inches down from the top on the front of the seat. Another says they are inline with the head rest supports down a few inches but on the back of the seat. I have pushed, pressed on both the back and front, but cannot locate toe release buttons. Will someone please help in locating these release buttons. Thanks in advance
Reply to
rebuck

They are inline with the head rest supports down a few inches on the back. However, it's possible to break off the plastic tabs that allow you to release the headrests through the upholstery if you push them too hard. If this happens, you have to remove the upholstery to release the catches.

Reply to
Mike F