Headlight bulbs burning out?

For some reason, I see a lot of newish Volvos (2000-2003) with one headlight burned out. Am I just seeing things, or do the newer models eat light bulbs for breakfast?

--Todd

Reply to
Todd

I suspect its because you can't turn the f***ing things off. The worst is when they both burn out at the same time after you've finished eating dinner and its dark outside.

Reply to
Charlie Derk

No, it's not because they are on all the time. We have replaced only two bulbs on our 960 after 10 years and (at the time) 100K Kms. We replaced the bulbs after 8 years, one failed then about 2-3 months later the other one went. The front and rear bulbs run at 100% intensity at all times, and our

960 is a short hop car for the most part, so it has had many start/stop cycles for the bulbs (and the car in general).

It's not just Volvo's I see with burnt out bulbs, tho I do see it. I see it much more frequently in Audi's tho.

Volvo actually addressed headlamp problems in I believe the 99 or 2000 model year, it's something about the electrical systems of these new cars. My 1999 VW Golf lost the front left lamp after only 4 years, it is always on (the rear lights are off) luckily VW runs a low intesity, and offset bulb in the high beam position when the main lights are on, so I still appeared to be a full sized car to oncoming motorists, and it gave me some added illumination (it may increase in brightness to compensate for a dead bulb... but that might purely be my imagination).... actually I couldn't really tell a bulb died until I pulled behind a car, and noticed the reflection.

I asked my VW dealer about bulb probems and he said all the European cars are having similar problems, he said it was the worst on Audi's, saying they are as bad as Volvo's of the late 90's to 2001's. I asked the Volvo dealer, and he said the new ones were pretty good, but as my VW dealer said, the

98-01 models are a bit troublesome. He said he wished they kept the electrical system from the older cars at least for the lightbulbs.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

you are right...sub standard electrical systems...they eat light bulbs for snacks.......along w/a host of other electrical gremlens.......i have non of those problems w/my

1993 940t....i am glad i dumped my s80....nothing like the older, solid volvos....
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

You are seeing things, but not imagining anything.

Brighter headlights are in. One way to make lamps bright is to reduce the filament resistance to increase the current flow. That makes the filaments run hotter, and shortens their life.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Reply to
<tundra