Headlight (not bulb) replacement on "91 940?

Have a cracked lens (single type with fog lamp) on my 1991 940 from a stone or something. SO purchased from a "yard" a used assembly (plastic mounting basket and all) but for the life of me, I can figure out how to change the lens.

Took the metal clips off but it feels like the lens is glued in or just stuck on from age, don't want to force it and mess it up and can figure out how to remove the whole head lamp assembly from the plastic frame... :(

Does anyone have an idea that they could kindly put in to words for me?

Feel stupid...but don't want to force anything and get myself in a worse situation!

Thanks!

Reply to
rndthought

The metal clips are as a safety measure. The lenses are indeed glued to the reflector. I would remove the entire headlight assembly (the black, mounting part et.al. and replace the foglamp as a unit instead of trying to replace just the lens.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Yup. Good encouragement to convert to e-codes. The lens is sealed with a gasket instead of that obnoxious goop.

BTDT, I too would highly recommend just replacing the unit as a whole (and not waste your time prying off the fog lamp lens).

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

The plastic frame is buggered (thus why it came "free" with the Headlamp) and yeah, replacng just the lens was quickly ruled out. How does the headlamp assembly mount into the frame? I can see several swivel points and it looks like there is some type of a, for the lack of the more technical term, "basket clip"? Can't see how to get these out.

My fog lamp is fine and so is the corner marker so I just wanted to replace the headlamp assembly (but not the plastic frame it all mounts to). Was hoping for a couple of screws but no dice.

Will try again this afternoon when there is more light out, maybe I missed something last night.

Hay thanks again for the advice. Lance

Reply to
rndthought

Those basket clips don't really come out unless you damage them, or the square hole in the black plastic frame screwed to the back of the lens/reflector assembly. And since that frame is not available separately... Buy some new clips and destroy the old ones. The whole job is way more of a pain than it needs to be.

Reply to
Mike F