headlight relay - 240

I have recently been driving more at night than I have in quite some time. While I do use my headlights in daylight quite often, this problem would not have shown in daytime. Over the last few night drives, after the headlights have been on for about 25 minutes, they begin to flicker. Not fully off and on, but enough to be easily visible. I tried turning the headlight switch off and on a few times, and flashing the high beams, but the problem is so intermittent and happens so seldom that it is difficult to tell the source of the problem using that method.

I finally worked on the problem this morning (hard to remember to do it- it's too dark and late to work on at night when I get home, and I don't see tem flicker during the day and so I forget). I first thought, "maybe a dirty fuse," but there are no fuses for the headlights. Next logical step 9and the easiest) was the headlight relay. Easily found without a shop manual by flashing the high beams on and off a few times. It is located right next to, and behind the battery on the inside of the fender well. I removed it and pried the case off by bending the little tabs back, and found that the contacts were arced more than I would like and had a bit of carbon on them. After cleaning the contacts up I also cleaned the spade connectors on the base of the relay and applied a bit of silicone dielectric grease. haven't driven it for any length of time yet, but from the looks of things, that was the solution.

On a side note, the workings inside the relay are a thing to behold! __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

That's the high/low selection relay, there's another headlight relay behind the dash, location depends on the year, but I've replaced two that had oxidized and melted down the connector, had to replace the connector as well. They're the small cube shaped 30A Bosch relays with the standard 5 pin plug. Next time I find one burned up like that I'll replace it with two in parallel.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks, James... I will search out that one and check it as well. I think I have a spare from the Pick 'n Pull..

I forget to mention two things;

1- the main problem I found with the high/low relay was that they have two internal "arms" which are extensions of the two output spade terminals. These are each held in place on the plastic base with a single, small copper rivet. One had become a bit loose, so I reset the rivet.

2- when replacing the large Phillips head screw that holds the support bracket, be sure to replace the ground wire for the left front turn indicator and the parking lamp. :-/

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Greetings Randy, When I had a 240 decided the headlights weren't bright enough, so put in higher wattage bulbs. Fantastic, no issues with seeing, except sometime a similar issue as to yours developed. It was only after an hour and 1/2 on the highway that I started smelling a burning smell in the dash and could not find it. Discovered after investigating that the light switch itself had got too hot and between the spade connector bits sticking up, it had cracked between different ones and they were now a bit loose and this was the source of the problem.

Went to volvo for a new switch, they said that this issue was not uncommon if wrong size headlights had been fitted. The price was too high, went to Import Advantage in Brisbane and got exactly the same part, same part number (bosch if I recall right) for a fraction of what Volvo wanted me to pay.

Short story - if it's not the relay, could be the light switch. If the light switch you may be able to source from Bosch for much less.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Savage

This is a common problem, it depends on the year though, the earlier

240s run the headlight power directly through the switch, I think the later ones run it through the relay. The factory wiring is barely adequate, if you want to run higher power lamps, you have to add relays under the hood and rewire the lights to run from those. I did that on my 740, with fuse holders coming right off the alternator feeding relays for high and low beams. The lights are brighter even with stock bulbs, less drop in the heavier wiring.
Reply to
James Sweet

My '83 recently had a similar burning smell, along with some interesting electrical type sizzling sounds...

clay

That looks a little familiar, I'm assuming it smells the same as mine did. LOL Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Savage