Headlight replacement on 1999 S70...

So I finally got around to replacing the cracked headlight lens on my S70. From what I had read in this group it sounded like it would be time consuming if not particularly daunting. Within an hour and with 2 slightly dirty hands the job was done. The new lens looks great! I ordered the replacement from IPD and even though it took 6 weeks to arrive (The union that takes care of cross border importation in Canada went on strike the day after I placed my order!) all was in order. The replacement lens comes with new clips and a new rubber seal.

Listed below are the necessary steps to complete the replacement:

On the back of the headlight assembly are 3 bolts that hold the headlight unit to the front crossmember. Remove these. Extend headlight wiper if you have that option. Uncouple headlight connector from the back of the headlight unit. Uncouple second connector from the inboard side of the headlight unit. Gently (!!!) start to pull the headlight unit out of it's position while lifting just enough so as not to scrape the paint on the bumper. It will seem like the unit will not come out but it will eventually. There is a slide lock on the outer parking light attachment which will come out attached to the main headlight unit. Uncouple the parking light connector. The unit will now come away as one piece. Gently (!!!) slide the parking light portion forward while pushing backwards on the headlight unit. They are held together by another slide lock and will come apart eventually. Prise up on the clips holding the lens to the headlight unit. They come off more easily than it might appear they would. Or at least mine did. Remember to remove the headlight wiper clip from the bottom as the lens will not come away with it in place! Once all clips are removed prise the lens away from the headlight unit. Mine was original and was fitted very tightly as it had been there for 5 years. The lens will come away and the rubber seal should be re-usable if need be. Be very careful not to break the plastic track the seal sits in. Remove the rubber seal from the track in the headlight unit and clean the track well. Relpace with new seal and fit new headlight lens. Very gently snap new clips onto lens and headlight unit. I used a pair of needlenose pliers in reverse (To pull apart not squeeze together) to get the clips on. They have 2 holes in their tops that makes this possible. Once the headlight unit is together reverse all steps to put the unit back in. Just remember to replace the headlight wiper clip or you will have to remove the unit a second time like I did!

That should be it. I didn't need to remove anything in the engine bay to get at the 3 screws holding the unit in as others has mentioned they needed to. I have a digital camera and was going to take pictures but forgot to. Hope this helps!!

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B.