Headlight washers...

Not to propagate a myth but it is DAMN cold in Toronto right now. It's going to be -26 overnight!! Being so cold and snowy there is a ton of salt on our roadways. Which of course means that there is a ton of salt on our headlight lenses. I noticed today while filling up with gas that the cleaned area on my headlights did not include the low beam portion of the lens. I looked at the washer jets on the headlight wipers and they look to be adjustable just as the windscreen jets are. I tried adjusting them gently when I got home but they wouldn't budge. So my question is should they be adjustable and mine are just stuck? Anyone else tried to adjust theirs and come up with the same situation? The car is a 1999 S70.

Jordan.

Reply to
Jordan B.

I don't think they're adjustable. At least they aren't on our cars (S70 and 850).

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

They're not adjustable, but if the wipers are working properly, then most of the low beam area is cleaned. In our climate the wiper arm pivot gets clogged up with dirt and corrosion, and then the wiper doesn't press firmly against the lens. Try moving the arm in and out repeatedly (a little penetrating oil helps) to free up the pivot. (Do it today while it's at least a little bit "warm"!)

Reply to
Mike F

Yeah, I actually played with it a bit yesterday and it seems as if the washer is not adjustable at all. It sure looks like it should be though. I can actually see the wiper come up over the hood when in the driver's seat so the actuation seems good. The swept area is good too. I think it is just that the fluid is not getting to the outer portion of the lens. I am pretty conservative with my use of washer fluid given how much we tend to go through here. I'll try being more generous this afternoon and see if that makes a difference. It's not a big deal for 90% of the driving I do but it would be nice to have clear lenses at night on the way to the cottage! (Single lane highway and very twisty!)

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B.

Actually a dirty low beam lens is the main cause of glare to oncoming cars. It is a very unsafe situation.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning