Help: Oil In Air Intake Hose?

I'm working on a 1989 240 DL. I've fixed a number of small issues before selling the vehicle. I replaced the Mass Air Meter to remove a Check Engine Light indication (code 121). While I had the hose going up to the throttle body loose I noticed there was significant oil residue in the hose. I took loose a smaller rubber hose going from the throttle body to the engine, and that appears to be the source of the oil. I assume it's purpose is to ventilate the crankcase? The little plastic gadget at the engine that the hose connects to (I assume it's a PCV type valve) presses into a hose or grommet that is connected to the engine.

The strange thing is the plastic unit has a screen in it, but no check valve like a normal PCV valve. Is that correct, or do I need to get a new unit?

Thank you.

Louis

--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to

A little oil from the PCV system is normal. The setup you have with the screen and no one way valve is also normal. Just make sure the PCV system, all hoses etc. and that screen are all clean.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Rod Gray

Thanks to all who responded. The information was most helpful!