help on 1988 740 turbo possible fuel pump

[be gentle, I'm no mechanic] I have recently had a problem with my 740 turbo. It stalled on the road during Acceleration the other day. I could not get it to start. I waited about an hour or so after pulling it off the road and tried a couple of times and it started. I began to drive it home and at a stop light it began to stutter a little and eventually died and would not start again. I think I noticed some slight noise changes in the fuel pump (almost like the pump was "stuttering" and stopped). Thinking back, I have noticed (what i thnk is the pump) has been sounding louder or "odd" lately in the last month. I have read a few postings regarding fuel pump issues.

Is it a pretty good clue that it is the pump or should i be looking at something else first (being cheap and broke)? (ie relay, battery cable wire for ECU?) How hard is it for a novice to replace?

email is: ehalvorson2k() @ msn.com removing the "()" and spaces

Reply to
Eric

Seems more likely to be the fuel filter. Has it been changed recently? it should be changed every 60,000 miles. It is also possible that the in-tank pump may be on the way out or has developed a blockage or air leak.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The relay likely has cracked solder joints, but since you noticed the sound changing the pump or filter may well need replacing, but I would guess fixing the relay will likely get you back on the road. You should have someone measure the electrical draw of the pump though, it should be under about 10A, it's pretty easy to do for anyone with a multimeter.

Reply to
James Sweet

Definitely start with the fuel pump relay. Also there may be another relay under the hood, a black 4 pin relay under the hood, usually mounted on or near one of the shock towers. If the main fuel pump is still noisy, then probably the in tank pump or the hose from that pump to the fuel sender has failed.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks guys. I am replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump tonight. Not too much $$ to replace anyway. I'll check the relay out also. The main relay is in the fuse panel right? which one is the pump relay? (which slot? hard to get in there).

Reply to
Eric

Is it in the center console like on an '87? If so the entire fuse box/relay panel comes out, just remove the cover over the cig lighter, remove the screw, pull that pocket out, then pull the fuse box forward and up, it'll come out of it's cave on wires and you can access it easily.

Reply to
James Sweet

You've probably done it already, but the fuel pump relay is the white one on the right in the middle row. If you remove the little storage box and lighter, access becomes easy.

Reply to
Mike F

Hello again! OK, I replaced the fuel filter and held off on the pump....and thought everything was ok. anyway...this is what is happening. I have noticed when I get down to a little less than a 1/4 tank the problem happens And thinking back, it was low on gas the first time it happened. Does this sound like something might be in my tank?

Reply to
Eric